Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Collaborate in Power BI Desktop

Hi 

Painfully learning all the functionlaity of Desktop and Service and woudl love some clarity on collaboration.

We have created a Desktop model and started adding reports in the modle and published to Service. there are severla of us working on the project so currently we savethe pbix in Dropbox and take it in turns to work on the file. The file is published to a Shared Group so we al lsee the content in Service without having to individual shre the dashboards. We can aslo all onnect tothe dataset using Bi Publisher for Excel

I have disocvered today that if I add a report to an exisitng dashboard in service it immediately becomes shared with everyone and also my partners can edit my rpeort. So we can collaborate fully on createing reports in Service.  I'm not thinking we made a big mistake creating reports in Desktop as theses can now only be edited in the pbix file.

Are we missing somethnig and there is a way to collaborate in Desktop?  Clearly al lthe queries and measures need to be created in desktop, but are we better off managing the reports side in Service as its clear there are good collaboration features.  Maybe desktop was designed when there is only one person on the design side? Just seems like a strange feature to have left out.  Service seems to be a number of steps ahead of desktop.

Thanks for any advice as don't want to create any more rpeorts in desktop if its better to create in service.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @masplin,

Current power bi not contains collaborate features. In my opinion, you can create a team project and upload this file to team server, then each team member can update this file and get the newest version.(for e.g. Microsot Team Foundation Server )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @masplin,

Current power bi not contains collaborate features. In my opinion, you can create a team project and upload this file to team server, then each team member can update this file and get the newest version.(for e.g. Microsot Team Foundation Server )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I've found dropbox to be orders of magnitude more reliable that one drive or Sharepoint so that's what we do.  we tried using Sharepoint but the syncing was constantly failing.

Ok thanks for clarifying that is the only way to "collaborate" on a pbix

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.