Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stfox
Helper I
Helper I

Cohort Analysis - DAX

Hi Folks

I want to create a Cohort Analysis. This involves calculating the the percentage of a cohort that is left in each of the subsequent months  following an initial signup. The screenshot below demonstrates the basic concept.  I want to avoild hard coding any date filters as a new cohort is added each month. 

I am thinking the solution involves a CALCULATE formula, but I am getting tripped up with the DAX to identify the denominator in the % calculation (the starting number of customers in each Cohort (40 in the first cohort, 35 in the second 30  in the 3rd cohort).

Can anyone help me out with the DAX?

Any help is much appreciated.  Excel/ PowerPivot File attached. 

Thanks Steve 

Cohort.PNGPowerPivot file

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Steve,

Here are a couple of ideas I can think of depending on the logic you want to apply (they give the same answer using your sample data).

These are additive over signup month (which you may want) and invoice month (which you may not want). You can modify that behaviour if needed.

1. Denominator = For each Signup Month, Number of customers where Invoice Month = Signup Month

=
DIVIDE (
    [Count of Customer ID],
    CALCULATE (
        [Count of Customer ID],
        GENERATE (
            VALUES ( Table1[Signup Month] ),
            FILTER (
                ALL ( Table1[Invoice_Month] ),
                Table1[Invoice_Month] = Table1[Signup Month]
            )
        )
    )
)

2. Denominator = For each Signup Month, Number of customers in first Invoice Month with nonblank customers

=
DIVIDE (
    [Count of Customer ID],
    CALCULATE (
        [Count of Customer ID],
        GENERATE (
            FIRSTNONBLANK ( ALL ( Table1[Invoice_Month] ), [Count of Customer ID] )
        )
    )
)

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Steve,

Here are a couple of ideas I can think of depending on the logic you want to apply (they give the same answer using your sample data).

These are additive over signup month (which you may want) and invoice month (which you may not want). You can modify that behaviour if needed.

1. Denominator = For each Signup Month, Number of customers where Invoice Month = Signup Month

=
DIVIDE (
    [Count of Customer ID],
    CALCULATE (
        [Count of Customer ID],
        GENERATE (
            FILTER (
                ALL ( Table1[Invoice_Month] ),
                Table1[Invoice_Month] = Table1[Signup Month]
            )
        )
    )
)

2. Denominator = For each Signup Month, Number of customers in first Invoice Month with nonblank customers

=
DIVIDE (
    [Count of Customer ID],
    CALCULATE (
        [Count of Customer ID],
        GENERATE (
            FIRSTNONBLANK ( ALL ( Table1[Invoice_Month] ), [Count of Customer ID] )
        )
    )
)

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

this formula does not work. it says too few arguments are trying to pass the filter function

where is the signup month formula?

Excellent! Thanks Owen. Just what I was after. 

Hi @stfox @OwenAuger 

would you mind to share the solution in pbix format? Because these solutions doesn't work in my model. What data do you use for the matrix's column and row header?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.