Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smacsween
Frequent Visitor

Clustering with categorical data

Hi

I am trying to use clusters using various different 3rd party visualisations.  They need me to have the data in numerical format but a lot of my data is categorical (country, department, etc).  

In  Python I would do a Transform or Encoding (eg OneHotEncode) to transform the categorical into numerical, but how do I do this in PowerBI?

Thanks

Scott

2 REPLIES 2
smacsween
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Pat, yes it's the ones from the marketplace.  I will give that a try with Python and with query editor, I appreciate your advice.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Sounds like you have looked at the visuals in the marketplace, but fyi if not.  FYI that, if you do know Python, you can use the Python visual to create your own visual.  To do it in the query editor, it would be helpful to see example data and desired output; however, I would probably approach that by making a distinct list of the categories and then add a custom column where it find the position of that category in the list for each row.  You also could do a RANKX on that column on the DAX side to get a number based on alphabetical order.

mahoneypat_0-1606054555733.png

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.