Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FRCE42
Regular Visitor

Clustering users based on connection date

Hi,

I have been trying to solve this for a couple of days now, but I can’t…  I guess I miss a step.

I have a simple set of data on connections to a system:  connection date, user id + other data concerning the usage of the system

One of the report specs is to classify the users in these categories:

• Monthly users
  • Weekly users
  • Bi-weekly users.

We basically want to see if the behavior of the users is linked to cluster of the user.  Typical  example (and certainly a stereotype, but it is just to illustrate), if the monthly users use more the reset password function.

A monthly user is a user that connects at least once a month, a weekly user is a user that connects at least once a week and so on... 

I can add a calculated column in the table to define that, for example by calculating the elapsed time since the last connection, but I want it to be reactive to a slicer on dates.  For example, if I select a period of two months, I want to measure how many people connected at least once a month, once a week or once every two weeks during that period of two months.  So a user could be a weekly user in a period and then a bi-weekly in another period.

Another specs is that the type of user (monthly, weekly,...) can also be used as a slicer, for example to see the most used functionalities of our system during a period for weekly users.

I thought to compute the class of user as a column in the table, based on the elapsed time between two connections, but that gives a stat on the connection type, not the user…

Any recommendation or suggestion?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FRCE42 ,

According to your description, I create the following measure to meet your requirements. Since I only calculate the average login interval in the range of date slicer and compare it with 7, 14, 30, this is only a rough result for your reference only:

Measure =

VAR a =

CALCULATE (

COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ),

FILTER (

ALL ( 'Table' ),

'Table'[user id] = MAX ( 'Table'[user id] )

&& (

'Table'[connection date] >= MIN ( 'Table 2'[Date] )

&& 'Table'[connection date] <= MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] )

)

)

)

VAR b =

DATEDIFF ( MIN ( 'Table 2'[Date] ), MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] ), DAY )

RETURN

SWITCH (

TRUE (),

b / a >= 0

&& b / a < 14, "weeklyuser",

b / a >= 14

&& b / a < 30, "Bi-weeklyuser",

b / a >= 30, "Mothlyuser"

)

Please refer to the sample pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EdDZi9kgkxxPs6oQ1g...

>>Another specs is that the type of user (monthly, weekly,...) can also be used as a slicer, for example to see the most used functionalities of our system during a period for weekly users.

I suggest you use measure as visual-level filter.

Untitled picture5.png

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FRCE42 ,

According to your description, I create the following measure to meet your requirements. Since I only calculate the average login interval in the range of date slicer and compare it with 7, 14, 30, this is only a rough result for your reference only:

Measure =

VAR a =

CALCULATE (

COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ),

FILTER (

ALL ( 'Table' ),

'Table'[user id] = MAX ( 'Table'[user id] )

&& (

'Table'[connection date] >= MIN ( 'Table 2'[Date] )

&& 'Table'[connection date] <= MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] )

)

)

)

VAR b =

DATEDIFF ( MIN ( 'Table 2'[Date] ), MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] ), DAY )

RETURN

SWITCH (

TRUE (),

b / a >= 0

&& b / a < 14, "weeklyuser",

b / a >= 14

&& b / a < 30, "Bi-weeklyuser",

b / a >= 30, "Mothlyuser"

)

Please refer to the sample pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EdDZi9kgkxxPs6oQ1g...

>>Another specs is that the type of user (monthly, weekly,...) can also be used as a slicer, for example to see the most used functionalities of our system during a period for weekly users.

I suggest you use measure as visual-level filter.

Untitled picture5.png

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.