Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clustering-automatically find clusters option is missing

I am trying to use the clustering feature in power BI using the scatter plot or the table format. Unfortunately, I do not see the 'Automatically find clusters' option when i hit the three dots on the chart. I am using Version 2.68.5432.841 64-bit (April 2019). Also I do have R installed on my machine (R-3.6.0). 

Please help me resolve this issue. I even tried the powr BI sample files to see if i can get the option to cluster, but it doesn't work even for the sample datasets. Please let me know if i am missing anythign here.

Automatically add clusters missingAutomatically add clusters missing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Anonymous 

We can't open your pbix file.

7.JPG

But from this error, we could know that this report is based on Live connection to power bi dateset.

And when you use Clustering-automatically find clusters option, it will create a group (a new calculate column). 

8.JPG

So it couldn't use automatically find clusters in live connection.

Live connections

When connecting to SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), there is an option to either import data from, or connect live to, the selected data model. If you select import, then you define a query against that external SSAS source, and the data is imported as normal. If you select to connect live, then there is no query defined, and the entire external model is shown in the field list. If you select DirectQuery, as visuals are built, queries are sent to the external SSAS source. However, unlike DirectQuery, there is no sense in which a new model is being created; in other words, it's not possible to define new calculated columns, hierarchies, relationships, and so on. Instead you are simply connecting directly to the external SSAS model.

The situation described in the previous paragraph applies to connecting to the following sources as well, except that there is no option to import the data:

• Power BI datasets (for example, when connecting to a Power BI dataset that has previously been created and published to the service, to author a new report over it)
  • Common Data Services

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MossyD
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks you Lin

Solution is perfect for me 👍

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

you have to left Legen field balnk and no drill down in the Detail field (I mean left the Detail field only one item after u auto clustering u can add more item in this field). 

11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Perfect Solution, But Can You please explain why the legend field does not work. with clustering.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

The legend field is empty in my case and also i am using only one fields under Details. It doesn't work even then.

The same chart shows the clusters when i use the custom visual for clustering. But I do want the automatic clustering functionality so that i can use the new cluster column generated from here for next visuals.

Thank you,

hi, @Anonymous 

Please try to see if this simple sample pbix file works properly.

2.JPG

If you still have the problem, please share your sample pbix file for us have a test, there should be something wrong in other.

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

The Demo file you provided to test the cluster feature works without any problems. I wonder what's happening in my file which prevents the clustering option. I am attaching my sample file with this reply, please take a look. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46sqpfk53ojyb51/Sample%20file-Clustering.pbix?dl=0

hi, @Anonymous 

We can't open your pbix file.

7.JPG

But from this error, we could know that this report is based on Live connection to power bi dateset.

And when you use Clustering-automatically find clusters option, it will create a group (a new calculate column). 

8.JPG

So it couldn't use automatically find clusters in live connection.

Live connections

When connecting to SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), there is an option to either import data from, or connect live to, the selected data model. If you select import, then you define a query against that external SSAS source, and the data is imported as normal. If you select to connect live, then there is no query defined, and the entire external model is shown in the field list. If you select DirectQuery, as visuals are built, queries are sent to the external SSAS source. However, unlike DirectQuery, there is no sense in which a new model is being created; in other words, it's not possible to define new calculated columns, hierarchies, relationships, and so on. Instead you are simply connecting directly to the external SSAS model.

The situation described in the previous paragraph applies to connecting to the following sources as well, except that there is no option to import the data:

• Power BI datasets (for example, when connecting to a Power BI dataset that has previously been created and published to the service, to author a new report over it)
  • Common Data Services

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand why automatically find cluster would not work in the Live Connection case. 

I was connected to the Power dataset as you mentioned in the sample file i intended to send you. 

But my actual project involves DirectQuery storage mode, so as per the following explanation with DirectQuery it is not possible to apply clustering, right? 

Thank you,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.