Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

trev_likes_PBI
Regular Visitor

Clustered stacked column chart

I'm trying to implement a Clustered stacked column chart. I can't figure out how to do it or find any examples. 

The chart would look similar to the image below. Have you got any idea if this can be acieved in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

@trev_likes_PBI
In Power BI Desktop, it’s not possible to create a chart which can combine both Clustered and Stacked column chart together. Because it can’t determine which group of series need to be “clustered”, which group of series need to be “stacked”. And it’s still not supported to add multiple fields into Legend of a chart. The expected result as you posted can’t be achieved. For your requirement, I suggest you add a column to assign type “Forecast” and “Actual”, then build a hierarchy like “Type->Cost”. Put the hierarchy on X-axis, you suppose to drill down the detail level to see those different costs.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately no,  I had to resort to the just using the clustered chart and having the multiple categories on the axis chart to allow for a drill down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone gotten the solution?  I need to have this also

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Could you please share solution? I need to implement the same thing

Hi Rajan,

Can you please share the soluton(.pbix) to manash.sharma27@gamil.com. Help will be appreciated.

Regards

Manash

I am trying to implement the same chart in a report I am working on; can you share how you implemented the chart? Thanks.

@rajankamboj  Please share the details of this as it meets what I and many others are trying to achieve

Thanks in advance

Hi Rajan,

Please share more detils how you get this solution.

The problem is drill-downs do not work on dashboards, hence the heirarchy cannot be used on dashboards. How difficult is it custom  build this visual?

Thank you. I will have to work with that for now.

Problem is, nobody cares. The idea has been there since 2014, combine it with the fact that this  doesnt work, doesnt look good. Things your power user can do in excel and just wont work in PowerBI, it is getting ridiculous. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree to this... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

can you share me how you did this, as i am trying to implement same.

please do share me on khansanober90@gmail.com

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@trev_likes_PBI I think in power bi using standard stacked column chart you won't be able to split out two columns but it will have different colours for each category of your legend. Something like below.

Capture.PNG

Thank you ankitpatira. However, a stacked column is not sufficient for what we are trying to implement. 

You might want to think about using small multiples, i.e. splitting up the one chart into four small bar charts, one for each country.

If the data isn't too complex small small multiples in general work great to bring out differences among categories. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.