cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trev_likes_PBI
Regular Visitor

Clustered stacked column chart

I'm trying to implement a Clustered stacked column chart. I can't figure out how to do it or find any examples. 

The chart would look similar to the image below. Have you got any idea if this can be acieved in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@trev_likes_PBI
In Power BI Desktop, it’s not possible to create a chart which can combine both Clustered and Stacked column chart together. Because it can’t determine which group of series need to be “clustered”, which group of series need to be “stacked”. And it’s still not supported to add multiple fields into Legend of a chart. The expected result as you posted can’t be achieved. For your requirement, I suggest you add a column to assign type “Forecast” and “Actual”, then build a hierarchy like “Type->Cost”. Put the hierarchy on X-axis, you suppose to drill down the detail level to see those different costs.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Mayank_Yavda
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @trev_likes_PBI ,

Here, is a 100 % Stacked Clustered Column Chart where you can put two different values (e.g: Current year sales and Previous year sales) and can easily compare between them based on their category.

100 % Stacked Clustered Column Chart. pbivizedit.com100 % Stacked Clustered Column Chart. pbivizedit.com

Download link for the custom visual file on this page,

https://pbivizedit.com/gallery/100stacked-clustered-column-chart 

This was made with our Custom Visual creator tool PBIVizEdit.com. With this tool,

• anyone, irrespective of technical skills, can create their visuals
  • 15 minutes to create a visual from scratch
  • opens up many additional attributes to edit (e.g. labels, tooltips, legends position, etc)

Give this a shot and let us know if you face any problems/errors.
You can use the editor to modify your visual further (some modifications cannot be done in the Power BI window and have to be in the editor).

Thanks,
Team PBIVizEdit

Helper I

I've put a solution together in this blog post if it's still interesting after all these years since this thread was posted 🙂

https://www.villezekeviking.com/how-to-combine-a-clustered-and-stacked-chart-in-power-bi/

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Ville ,

Interesting solution.  Thanks for sharing

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
LN7715

Sorry to reply to an old post, but in case more people are looking for a solution - this tutorial shows how to simulate a clustered stacked chart https://youtu.be/AI3eT1kRje4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any update on this feature we too need this functionality/workaround if any one has done it

v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@trev_likes_PBI
In Power BI Desktop, it’s not possible to create a chart which can combine both Clustered and Stacked column chart together. Because it can’t determine which group of series need to be “clustered”, which group of series need to be “stacked”. And it’s still not supported to add multiple fields into Legend of a chart. The expected result as you posted can’t be achieved. For your requirement, I suggest you add a column to assign type “Forecast” and “Actual”, then build a hierarchy like “Type->Cost”. Put the hierarchy on X-axis, you suppose to drill down the detail level to see those different costs.

Best Regards,
Angelia

You have to structure your data like this example before using it in power BI.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-combine-bar-graphs-of-stacked-and-unstacked-columns-in-single-chart-i...

Hi Guys

I know there is no provision to create a clustered stacked column chart in PowerBI directly. But at times we have no option but to create the same to meet project demand. We have tried to tweak a little and build something which is close to clustered stacked column chart to meet our requirement. I am sharing the screen shot for same. We created it using black columns. In case you want to know more about solution, do ping me @ kamboj.rajan90@gmail.com

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNzcyZTEyZjItOTRhMS00NmMwLWI2ZDktZTE0NzI2YTczN2YyIiwidCI6IjI4N...

Thanks

Rajan Kamboj

Can you share the pbix to my email - srini@samiksha.com.sg

Appreciate your help

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Unfortunately the solution suggested by @rajankamboj never came with a pbix.

The best offer came from @LN7715 with a video on Youtube showing a possible way forward.

I believe it's still an open request with the Power BI developers to give us an official solution.

Hi @rajankamboj  Can you please share the solution? Thank in Advance!

JTY
Frequent Visitor

hi 

what was the solution ? i need to implement it as well in a file 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately no,  I had to resort to the just using the clustered chart and having the multiple categories on the axis chart to allow for a drill down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone gotten the solution?  I need to have this also

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Could you please share solution? I need to implement the same thing

Hi Rajan,

Can you please share the soluton(.pbix) to manash.sharma27@gamil.com. Help will be appreciated.

Regards

Manash

I am trying to implement the same chart in a report I am working on; can you share how you implemented the chart? Thanks.

@rajankamboj  Please share the details of this as it meets what I and many others are trying to achieve

Thanks in advance

Hi Rajan,

Please share more detils how you get this solution.

The problem is drill-downs do not work on dashboards, hence the heirarchy cannot be used on dashboards. How difficult is it custom  build this visual?

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2022 update 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the August 2022 updates!

August 1 episode 9_no_dates 768x460.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors