cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trev_likes_PBI
Regular Visitor

Clustered stacked column chart

I'm trying to implement a Clustered stacked column chart. I can't figure out how to do it or find any examples. 

The chart would look similar to the image below. Have you got any idea if this can be acieved in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@trev_likes_PBI
In Power BI Desktop, it’s not possible to create a chart which can combine both Clustered and Stacked column chart together. Because it can’t determine which group of series need to be “clustered”, which group of series need to be “stacked”. And it’s still not supported to add multiple fields into Legend of a chart. The expected result as you posted can’t be achieved. For your requirement, I suggest you add a column to assign type “Forecast” and “Actual”, then build a hierarchy like “Type->Cost”. Put the hierarchy on X-axis, you suppose to drill down the detail level to see those different costs.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
LN7715

Sorry to reply to an old post, but in case more people are looking for a solution - this tutorial shows how to simulate a clustered stacked chart https://youtu.be/AI3eT1kRje4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any update on this feature we too need this functionality/workaround if any one has done it

v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@trev_likes_PBI
In Power BI Desktop, it’s not possible to create a chart which can combine both Clustered and Stacked column chart together. Because it can’t determine which group of series need to be “clustered”, which group of series need to be “stacked”. And it’s still not supported to add multiple fields into Legend of a chart. The expected result as you posted can’t be achieved. For your requirement, I suggest you add a column to assign type “Forecast” and “Actual”, then build a hierarchy like “Type->Cost”. Put the hierarchy on X-axis, you suppose to drill down the detail level to see those different costs.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

You have to structure your data like this example before using it in power BI.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-combine-bar-graphs-of-stacked-and-unstacked-columns-in-single-chart-i...

Hi Guys

I know there is no provision to create a clustered stacked column chart in PowerBI directly. But at times we have no option but to create the same to meet project demand. We have tried to tweak a little and build something which is close to clustered stacked column chart to meet our requirement. I am sharing the screen shot for same. We created it using black columns. In case you want to know more about solution, do ping me @ kamboj.rajan90@gmail.com

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNzcyZTEyZjItOTRhMS00NmMwLWI2ZDktZTE0NzI2YTczN2YyIiwidCI6IjI4N...

Thanks

Rajan Kamboj

Can you share the pbix to my email - srini@samiksha.com.sg

Appreciate your help

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Unfortunately the solution suggested by @rajankamboj never came with a pbix.

The best offer came from @LN7715 with a video on Youtube showing a possible way forward.

I believe it's still an open request with the Power BI developers to give us an official solution.

Hi @rajankamboj  Can you please share the solution? Thank in Advance!

hi 

what was the solution ? i need to implement it as well in a file 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately no,  I had to resort to the just using the clustered chart and having the multiple categories on the axis chart to allow for a drill down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone gotten the solution?  I need to have this also

Thank you in advance.

Hi! Could you please share solution? I need to implement the same thing

Hi Rajan,

Can you please share the soluton(.pbix) to manash.sharma27@gamil.com. Help will be appreciated.

Regards

Manash

I am trying to implement the same chart in a report I am working on; can you share how you implemented the chart? Thanks.

@rajankamboj  Please share the details of this as it meets what I and many others are trying to achieve

Thanks in advance

Hi Rajan,

Please share more detils how you get this solution.

The problem is drill-downs do not work on dashboards, hence the heirarchy cannot be used on dashboards. How difficult is it custom  build this visual?

Thank you. I will have to work with that for now.

Problem is, nobody cares. The idea has been there since 2014, combine it with the fact that this  doesnt work, doesnt look good. Things your power user can do in excel and just wont work in PowerBI, it is getting ridiculous. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors