Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clustered column chart axis and series

I'm trying to reproduce this chart (created in Excel) within 1 visual in PowerBI:

CHART1.png

It looks a bit messy, but it's a clustered column chart, clustered by OU and each column is a count of AD accounts per month of the year.

Quite easy to do in Excel, but I'm really struggling to bring it over into PowerBI within 1 visual. I was able to replicate it by laying 15 visuals on-top of a blank chart visual but... that's not ideal.

The issue I'm running into is that I've had to transpose the data source so that I can use the date field in a relative visual filter (to avoid seeing too much data). What this does is stop me being able to cluster by OU and instead I have to cluster by date, which isn't the same and doesn't provide the same visual detail:

CHART2.png

If I don't transpose I have to manually click each date I want to see in the visual, which isn't suitable as I'm hoping to use this dashboard as a replacement to my manual monthly reporting duties.

Has anyone had the same issue and come up with a workable solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the delay.

For your image, I'm afraid that you need to Unpivot your columns from OU1...OU10 in Query Editor, then you could create the visual in power bi desktop.

You could have a reference of the example below.

unpivot.png

Then you could create your desired output with Attibute column and Value column.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

More details will be helpful.

If it is convenient, could you share your data sample which could reproduce your scenario so that we could copy and have a test on it.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies - the data source is a CSV that once imported and transposed looks like this:CHART3.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the delay.

For your image, I'm afraid that you need to Unpivot your columns from OU1...OU10 in Query Editor, then you could create the visual in power bi desktop.

You could have a reference of the example below.

unpivot.png

Then you could create your desired output with Attibute column and Value column.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.