Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amconnel
Resolver II
Resolver II

Clustered Column Chart Dynamic Y-Axis Scale or Adding Space Between Bars

Hi all,

I have a clustered column chart with four bars showing the following measures that I calculated within Power BI:

Prior QTR EPS = Last Quarter reported - 12 months, return the value of EPS

Current QTR EPS = Last Quarter reported, return the value of EPS

Prior YTD = Last Year reported - 1 & quarters in that year <= last quarter reported, return the sum of EPS values

Current YTD = All quarters reported of current year, return the sum of EPS values

*Again, these are measures that I created within Power BI. These measures have dependencies on at least 10 other columns created in Power BI (not Power Query).*

Originally, I have all four of these measures listed under values in one clustered column chart. (I am not allowed by the application to place these values under axis or legend.) However, I need there to be space between each bar. I found that this would not be possible with what I currently have. I found a potential solution that would require me to redo a lot of my work in Power Query which is a language I do not understand. So, I thought that I would create a separate clustered column chart for each bar. This way, I could choose how much space is between each bar. Seemed like a good enough solution for me, and the viewer would not notice the difference. But, of course I ran into a problem. 

Within this dashboard, I have a slicer to filter for company. In the first photo, I am looking at Company A. The highest value listed is $2.10, so I made the end of each y-axis $2.30 so that the bars would be proportional to one another. However, in the second photo when Company B is in view, this same axis range obviously remains in place... and there is too much white space. The values are much smaller, so it is more difficult to see the differences. Is there a way to create a dynamic axis range that would find the maximum value of the four measures in the visuals and adjust the y-axis end accordingly? Or perhaps you know a solution to the original problem I had and know of a way for me to fix that and avoid this second issue?

Any and all help is appreciated. Please see the photos below with their descriptions showing beneath each photo. 

amconnel_0-1621622588392.png

Photo 1: (The Prior QTR and YTD bars may not be visible as the color is naturally pretty light.) Company A, Y-Axis end for the individual charts is $2.30 to account for the max value which is the Current YTD bar in this case.

amconnel_1-1621622730386.png

Photo 2: (The Prior QTR and YTD bars may not be visible as the color is naturally pretty light.) Company B, Y-Axis end for the individual charts is still $2.30, because this is how I edited each viz when creating them while looking at Company A. In this case, I would want the y-axis end to rely on the Prior YTD bar as this is the max value.

amconnel_2-1621622833546.png

Photo 3: (The Prior QTR and YTD bars may not be visible as the color is naturally pretty light.) This is the original visual that I am attempting to recreate. This visual shows Company B. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This definitely would have been great help for another project I did! I was unfamiliar with unpivoting at the time and ended up using bookmarks and buttons to create something dynamic like this. I may go back during some free time and try this solution as it may be a bit more visually appealing. This could potentially work with this project... but I worry with there being too much data and more than one kind of data... I found a solution that seems functional enough.

My Solution: I have kept the format of having a separate clustered column chart for each bar, so I have four visuals. I added all four measures to each, but I made the three I'm not wanting to show in that specific visual the same color as the background (white). So for the first bar (Prior QTR), I have the other three measures included, but colored white. For the second bar, I have Prior QTR, Prior YTD, and Current YTD listed after Curr QTR and colors white so that only Curr QTR shows. And so on... This way, all of the axes are the same, the bars appear proportional, and the axes can be set to an auto range that changes according to the slicer.

My solution would be a pain if I needed to go in and select and edit these visuals in the future, but luckily I won't have to. I appreciate the help! Excited to try this in my other project when I get the chance. 

Best.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amconnel ,

Refer to the teaching provided by the following video link, which can help you. 

v-henryk-mstf_0-1621824279932.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1621824312822.png

v-henryk-mstf_3-1621824399716.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This definitely would have been great help for another project I did! I was unfamiliar with unpivoting at the time and ended up using bookmarks and buttons to create something dynamic like this. I may go back during some free time and try this solution as it may be a bit more visually appealing. This could potentially work with this project... but I worry with there being too much data and more than one kind of data... I found a solution that seems functional enough.

My Solution: I have kept the format of having a separate clustered column chart for each bar, so I have four visuals. I added all four measures to each, but I made the three I'm not wanting to show in that specific visual the same color as the background (white). So for the first bar (Prior QTR), I have the other three measures included, but colored white. For the second bar, I have Prior QTR, Prior YTD, and Current YTD listed after Curr QTR and colors white so that only Curr QTR shows. And so on... This way, all of the axes are the same, the bars appear proportional, and the axes can be set to an auto range that changes according to the slicer.

My solution would be a pain if I needed to go in and select and edit these visuals in the future, but luckily I won't have to. I appreciate the help! Excited to try this in my other project when I get the chance. 

Best.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.