Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shaunwilks
Helper V
Helper V

Cluster Chart - X Axis Sort Order

I can only think this is an issue in the July 2019 PowerBi Desktop release.

I have a clustered chart - x axis contains a "Quarter/Year" field - its ordered by a "Quarter/Year Order number" field which is a whole number and I can confirm they are fine and working.

When I put together the value into the chart the x axis sorts correctly - see image 1.jpg

1.PNG

As soon as I add a "Legend" to the clustered chart randomly one or two of the Qtrs appear out of order on the X-Axis. I have checked its sorting by the correct field, and looking at the view Data option shows the data in the table is ordered correctly. However when you compare that to the X-Axis its not correctly in the order the data is sorted in.2.PNG

How is it possible that the Data is sorted correctly but the visual is not displaying the same order of that field ?

Thanks in Advance

5 REPLIES 5
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

A scatter plot is not designed to have a categorical axis, instead it should compare items with two continuos values. It seems to be finding it hard to sort when it comes to blanks, and sorts it by legend AL first then SICK.

Some options:

1. Make the X-axis numerical, but make sure each point it spaced the same, which might be hard ion this case.
  2. You could make a line graph. on Shapes property, turn line width to 0 and turn on markers:
    Annotation 2019-08-03 185700.png
  3. Make a clustered column chart or a bullet chart, which is better suited to this data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Thanks for the suggestion but its hard to agree with this point..

A scatter plot is not designed to have a categorical axis, 

If thats the case why have they added a categorical facility to the scatter plot ?

If that option is there then it should be able to handle the sorting of the x-axis first when the data set behind the visual is sorted correctly.

I will play around with the measures that feed the visual and see if a 0 value, rather than null can be a difference, otherwise Id probably still need to raise this for bug correction I believe

Typically a scatter plot is used to look at the relationship between two or more variables, in order to determine relationships or outliers. Power BI will generally let you put what you want in the graphs, and leave it up to you to ensure they are diaplyed a intended. Although vizualisation is both a science and an art, so good visuals sometimes differ from the standard library. I agree though, in this case it seems like a bug how it handles the null value.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

I have attached a sample solution that shows the problem with the Sorting in the scatter plot when the Legend is populated and you are sorting by the X Axis value.

As suggested above there is a definite problem handling when there is a null value for the category.

The sorting appears to change the defined sort order to include the category first when there is a null for either of the category.

I have attached the sample solution here SAMPLE

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue and see that your solution also does not work? In the example March comes after May? Did you find an alternative solution for this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.