Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Balance Inventory Prior Year

Hi All, 

I am stuck on the following...

I am trying to create the Closing Balance Inventory for 2020 e compare with the same period last year..

Inventory SUM = (CALCULATE(SUM(Final[Value]),Final[Type] = "Inventory"))
Inventory 2020 = CLOSINGBALANCEQUARTER([Inventory SUM],Final[Date])
Inventory 19 = CALCULATE(CLOSINGBALANCEQUARTER([Inventory SUM],DATEADD(Final[Date],-1,YEAR)))

all works good but, when I am adding a slicer by Quarter, it tells me it expects a contigoous selection.

Any one has a clou on how I should fix it? 

thanks for the help.
Simone
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Does this return what you want?

Inventory Last Year =
CALCULATE(
    [Inv. Sum],
    SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR( 'Calendar'[Date] )
)

ALso, you need to mark your calendar table as a date table. That is when the magic happens. Right-click on it, select Mark as Date Table, then select the date column. Until you do that, it is just another table in the model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Does this return what you want?

Inventory Last Year =
CALCULATE(
    [Inv. Sum],
    SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR( 'Calendar'[Date] )
)

ALso, you need to mark your calendar table as a date table. That is when the magic happens. Right-click on it, select Mark as Date Table, then select the date column. Until you do that, it is just another table in the model.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

man.. after 4 hours on this **bleep** formula... I got it!!!! thanks for the help. really killed me!!! appreciate!

@Anonymous wrote:

man.. after 4 hours on this **bleep** formula... I got it!!!! thanks for the help. really killed me!!! appreciate!

What was your final measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here we go... I think I tried every possible combination of formulas in the last 5 hours! 😁

Inv. Bal. 20 = CLOSINGBALANCEQUARTER([Total SUM],(Final[Date]),Final[Type]="Inventory")
Inv. Bal. 19 = CALCULATE([Inv. Bal. 20],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date]))

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot for the answer. I need to use the closingbalancequarter.. 

1. I marked the table as date

but it still giving me a error... 

I'm not an expert by any means on the CLOSINGBALANCE* functions, but I believe those return the data at the end of the relevant quarter, which would be March 31, June 30, Sept 30, and Dec 31. That works on your Calendar table.

But those dates don't exist in your inventory table. Everything is the 1st of the month.

My measure above returns the following:

2020-05-21 10_05_10-Issue - Power BI Desktop.png

See this article near the bottom from SQLBI. It concludes the same thing I have. Emphasis mine.

"The STARTOFMONTHSTARTOFQUARTERSTARTOFYEARENDOFMONTHENDOFQUARTER, and ENDOFYEAR functions are only useful when the dataset is complete with all the start and end dates of each time period. When this is not the case, you can implement a custom logic using the other techniques previously described in this article."

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous do you have date dimension in your model? As a best practice, add date dimension in your model and use it for and time intelligence calculations. There are many posts on how to add date dimension and below is the link to a few. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/
https://radacad.com/create-a-date-dimension-in-power-bi-in-4-steps-step-1-calendar-columns

If not, add one, and use that in your calculations.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, I have added the link to power BI, in case you want to have a look. thanks Simone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I have tried already, but it doesn't work

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.