Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lekkerbek
Helper IV
Helper IV

Close and apply takes a long time

Hi,

I have a power BI file with data in it. From an outside source I imported the sales from 2014 to 2017 YTD into seperate tables.

I then append those queries t to a new a new table. The idea was that I only have to refresh the 2017 table rather than all the older years.

That took a long time, but was finally done. 

I forgot to change 2 column names so when I edited those I had to apply them once again.

Is it normal that it takes the same amount of time as the first time if I just change 2 column names? I'm talking about hours here. Is there a way to speed up that process?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@lekkerbek

Hi,

Your table could be very big. The cause may be this. You changed the column names of original tables (sales 2014 ……) other than the appended new table. So Power BI will do “append tables” again when you apply. (You can see it in the picture in the bottom. I just changed the name of a column in sales, but the appended new table applied the changes totally.) The Query Editor just edit the queries. Power BI will perform it when you click “Apply”. If tables are too big, it will cost time. But we can avoid doing it twice. Please refer to the steps below.

1. Upgrade Power BI to the newest version from here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/
  2. If you change column names here, it will be better (showed in the pic).
  3. If you want to refresh, refresh here will be betterClose and apply takes a long time .jpg
Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@lekkerbek

Hi,

Your table could be very big. The cause may be this. You changed the column names of original tables (sales 2014 ……) other than the appended new table. So Power BI will do “append tables” again when you apply. (You can see it in the picture in the bottom. I just changed the name of a column in sales, but the appended new table applied the changes totally.) The Query Editor just edit the queries. Power BI will perform it when you click “Apply”. If tables are too big, it will cost time. But we can avoid doing it twice. Please refer to the steps below.

1. Upgrade Power BI to the newest version from here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/
  2. If you change column names here, it will be better (showed in the pic).
  3. If you want to refresh, refresh here will be betterClose and apply takes a long time .jpg
Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.