Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DanielAdler
Frequent Visitor

Clicking on a dax measure from a live SSAS tabular connection in Fields returns "Unexpected Error"

Hi all,

New in the Power BI forum, so if this is the wrong group (perhaps should be in Issues), then let mw know.

My problem is that when I click on a dax measure in the Fileds well i Power Bi Desktop the normal behaviour is to see the dax formula in the formula bar.

When I do this on a measure that is defined in a live connected SSAS Tabular model I just get an "Unexpcted Error". I think this used to work, but it doesn't in either January 2018 or December 2017 versions of Power BI Desktop. The measure is a simple SUM.

Is this a general error in Power BI Desktop or has it something to do with my Tabular model on the SQL Server?

When clicking on Copy Details I get the following stack trace:

JS Error Message:
System.InvalidOperationException: Could not execute method: getCalculationInfo(Measures, AmountAfterCommissionTotal, ) - Missing Parameters: 0 ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Server stack trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXParser.Tokenize(String expression, CursorActivity cursorActivity, Nullable`1 cursorPosition, Nullable`1 selectionStart, Tokenization oldTokenization, Tokenization olderTokenization, Tokenization& newTokenization, Boolean ui)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXParser.ConvertFormatCore(String expression, Tokenization tokenization, Boolean engineToUI)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IntellisenseHostService.GetFormula(ICalculationObject calculation)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IntellisenseHostService.<>c__DisplayClass7.<GetCalculationInfo>b__5()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6`1.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__5()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions[T](SynchronizationContext context, Func`1 callback)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IntellisenseHostService.GetCalculationInfo(String entityName, String propertyName, String schemaName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
at CefSharp.Internals.JavascriptObjectRepository.TryCallMethod(Int64 objectId, String name, Object[] parameters, Object& result, String& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at CefSharp.Internals.JavascriptObjectRepository.TryCallMethod(Int64 objectId, String name, Object[] parameters, Object& result, String& exception)

Error Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

4 REPLIES 4
AndrejLapajne
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue in both the December and January update of PBI Desktop. Clicking on measures or expanding/collapsing the KPI group produces "Unexpected Error".

Here's an empty report with the connection to the Microsoft's Retail Analysis Demo through the PBI service (all I did is clicked the expand arrow on the This Year Sales KPI):

@AndrejLapajne: Good to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

@v-yulgu-msft - are you working on replicating this error and confirming it as a bug?

Thankful for an update on the status.

Regards,

Daniel

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DanielAdler,

I was not able to reproduce this problem on my side. My desktop version is January 2018.

1.PNG

In your scenario, does this problem occur to any other tabular model?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply @v-yulgu-msft

No, unfortunately even on a completelty newly created tabular model on the SSAS Server I get the same error.

To reduce the risk of misunderstanding - it is only measures that are defined in the server's model that produces this error. I am able to create a new measure in Power BI Desktop against the live SSAS Tabular model, and it works and I am able to see the  formula.

I use the January 2018 version of Desktop as well.

Can it be something with how the SSAS-server is setup. The compability level of Tabular model on the server is te latest one (SQL Server 2017 / Azure Analysis Services (1400))

I paste two picctures as well, the first where I try to view a measure defined in the server's model, which fails. And one picture with a measure created in Power BI Desktop, which works. The Dax formulas are the same.

Best regards,

Daniel

Server side measure - failsServer side measure - failsLocal measure in Power BI Desktop against live server tabular model - works and is shown in formula barLocal measure in Power BI Desktop against live server tabular model - works and is shown in formula bar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.