cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisBirmele New Member

Clicking a file:// URL doesn't work

My dataset contains a column with a hyperlink to jpg image files (see pic below), but clicking the hyperlink doesn't open the file.  Pasting the same path into a browser or File Explorer works just fine.

PS: I am doing all this in PowerBi desktop, haven't published to the service yet.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

image.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Eric_Zhang

Re: Clicking a file:// URL doesn't work

@ChrisBirmele wrote:

My dataset contains a column with a hyperlink to jpg image files (see pic below), but clicking the hyperlink doesn't open the file.  Pasting the same path into a browser or File Explorer works just fine.

PS: I am doing all this in PowerBi desktop, haven't published to the service yet.

image.JPG

@ChrisBirmele

See the limitation in official blog .

If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab. 

3 REPLIES 3
Moderator Eric_Zhang

@ChrisBirmele wrote:

image.JPG

@ChrisBirmele

See the limitation in official blog .

If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab. 

rvgfox Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In the service it doesn't work too

Ramon

vasanthilatha Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hey, Is there any update available where by click on the local folder link it shoul open it inthe browser automatically??

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 383 members 3,699 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: