Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisBirmele

Clicking a file:// URL doesn't work

My dataset contains a column with a hyperlink to jpg image files (see pic below), but clicking the hyperlink doesn't open the file.  Pasting the same path into a browser or File Explorer works just fine.

PS: I am doing all this in PowerBi desktop, haven't published to the service yet.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

image.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ChrisBirmele wrote:

My dataset contains a column with a hyperlink to jpg image files (see pic below), but clicking the hyperlink doesn't open the file.  Pasting the same path into a browser or File Explorer works just fine.

PS: I am doing all this in PowerBi desktop, haven't published to the service yet.

image.JPG

@ChrisBirmele

See the limitation in official blog .

If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Raz_N
Regular Visitor

There is an update on this?

TimVanCaeyzeele

I got this to work in Chrome and latest Edge after installing the enable local files addin

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enable-local-file-links/nikfmfgobenbhmocjaaboihbeocackld/r...

FrankvanDelden
Regular Visitor

You can make it work if you (or your client) have the chrome browser. Use the extension 'enable local file links'. It worked for me (also credits to my client IT guy Niels) to show PDF's (invoices) in browser. The power BI users have to have access to the local folder with files. Be aware the power bi user can see all files by the root-folder. Also if it is good it is limited to the Power Bi service access within the organization workspace and not accessible  from outside login

Hsiggelin

any update on this? Im very interested in a solution! 

chthomama
Frequent Visitor

It's now December 2019. Is there any solution on the horizon for this issue? We've tried different browsers but could not get it working. To copy the link in a new tab is not really enduser friendly.

Thanks for your help

Will Power BI ever fix this inconvenience? Most application allow for hyperlinks to be accessible; I don't see the reason why Power BI would prevent this other than laziness.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Latter half of September 2020, is there any update on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, Is there any update available where by click on the local folder link it shoul open it inthe browser automatically??

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ChrisBirmele wrote:

image.JPG

@ChrisBirmele

See the limitation in official blog .

If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab. 

In the service it doesn't work too

Ramon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.