Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mirajvsen
Regular Visitor

Clear data from power BI desktop

Hi,

I was going through the follwing post and then got a question. How do we clear the data from the power BI file and keep only the definition?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Power-BI-Desktop-data-location/m-p/2423...

Regards...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you are running an import query, the data is all stored in the .pbix file. There is no way to run the queries without having the data in the file. If on the other hand you are using the Direct Query method on a SQL database, that data is only pulled by the file on demand and is not stored locally within it. So unless you are doing a Direct Query against a SQL database, you cannot clear the data from the file and still maintain working queries.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shazu13
Regular Visitor

Well, if you just want the structure and no data. Create a view for the data you need to collect. Alter view to select top x so the import only loads the top x. Dont forget to remove the top x when your done.

ASHOKKPIN
Resolver I
Resolver I

Save the file as a .pbit - A PowerBI Template.

this doesn't work, the template is totaly empty and contains nothing

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you are running an import query, the data is all stored in the .pbix file. There is no way to run the queries without having the data in the file. If on the other hand you are using the Direct Query method on a SQL database, that data is only pulled by the file on demand and is not stored locally within it. So unless you are doing a Direct Query against a SQL database, you cannot clear the data from the file and still maintain working queries.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.