Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Beyondforce
Helper I
Helper I

Clean Up the folders in the Query panel!?

Hey All,

Is it possible to connect to a folder and import all the files so that the Query panel will be clean with only the Table name?

As you can see in the picture, it looks really messy with all the extra folders!

p7.png

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can include everything in your main query.

You can copy the "Transform Sample File..."  code into the #"Invoke Custom Function1" step and replace the parameter by [Content].

Additionally, you need to adjust the #"Expand Table Column1" step, so the column names for the expanded table are derived from the first table in the column with the nested tables.

Now you don't need the other query objects any more. To be honest I had some difficulties removing them and I created a new pbix file, but maybe you can just remove them. 

An example below; adjust as appropriate.

let
    Source = Folder.Files(".................."),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Extension] = ".csv")),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Transform File from Binary", 
        each let
                Source = Csv.Document([Content],[Delimiter="	", Columns=2, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
                #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true])
             in
                #"Promoted Headers"),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Binary"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Binary", Table.ColumnNames(#"Invoke Custom Function1"[#"Transform File from Binary"]{0})),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Test1", Int64.Type}, {"Test2", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Beyondforce Haha you like me i also hate that, just collapse the folder so you cant see it expanded, if you create a combined file it has to create a sample query and

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I was thinking... I'm trying to import CSV files, so maybe the Excel.Workbook function works only on Excel files!

Makes sense, how hard would it be for you to convert it?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

She just answered me, that this command it's only for excel files, BUMMER!

Those cvs file are been generated automaticaly from our Main Frame! So I just want to pick them up and make reports from the data.

You can include everything in your main query.

You can copy the "Transform Sample File..."  code into the #"Invoke Custom Function1" step and replace the parameter by [Content].

Additionally, you need to adjust the #"Expand Table Column1" step, so the column names for the expanded table are derived from the first table in the column with the nested tables.

Now you don't need the other query objects any more. To be honest I had some difficulties removing them and I created a new pbix file, but maybe you can just remove them. 

An example below; adjust as appropriate.

let
    Source = Folder.Files(".................."),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Extension] = ".csv")),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Transform File from Binary", 
        each let
                Source = Csv.Document([Content],[Delimiter="	", Columns=2, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
                #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true])
             in
                #"Promoted Headers"),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Binary"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Binary", Table.ColumnNames(#"Invoke Custom Function1"[#"Transform File from Binary"]{0})),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Test1", Int64.Type}, {"Test2", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi,

I know this is an old post but the solution is still Good !!

Just wondering -  I need to use a Template file as my source files change format over time. How to you update this code to allow you to use a template file?

Cheers

Andrew

@vanessafvg, Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_CgIOwSjmU

It seems possible, but it didn't work for me for some reason! Let me know it works for you.

@Beyondforce

Can't believe I missed it, i always watch the curbal stuff.  That's an awesome find, i will have to try it thanks!  Why didnt it work for you?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.