Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clarification on PowerBi Table and Excel File located in Sharepoint

For eg. I have 4 columns in Employee Table and i saved it as Employee excel file and i link them into my sharepoint folder when using powerbi. (Table 1)

(Table 1)

NoDepartment CodeDepartment/SectionDesignation
1Administration1GeneralGeneral Manager
2Administration2GeneralAssistant  Manager

My question is if i add additional column into the Employee Excel file. For eg. (Table 2). How do i ensure that the Powerbi has added this column in for me? Will clicking the refresh button helps in PowerBI. 

Kindly advise. Thanks!

(Table 2)

NoDepartment CodeDepartment/SectionDesignationTotal PlanFuture PlanDifference
1Administration1GeneralGeneral Manager770
2Administration2GeneralAssistant  Manager000

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , usually when you refresh it next time, it should get added. Otherwise add as a new table, copy-paste initial few line and carefully paste in old code

very similar to this

Abstract Thesis Part 51: Change Connection from One source type to another Source Type and use existing steps: https://youtu.be/nwYJgG2hmd0

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , usually when you refresh it next time, it should get added. Otherwise add as a new table, copy-paste initial few line and carefully paste in old code

very similar to this

Abstract Thesis Part 51: Change Connection from One source type to another Source Type and use existing steps: https://youtu.be/nwYJgG2hmd0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy - paste initial few line and carefully paste in old code? 

Do you mean by copy the values from excel file and then paste them into powerbi as new column?

Hi @Anonymous,

Power query will cache the data structure into query steps if you add or remove files on your data source side. You need to check the query steps and manually modify the definitions. (it will be stored in 'change type' and other steps which reference the table structure)

Add or change data types (Power Query) (microsoft.com)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Another question i have, is the column names in my excel and powerbi are different. I only want to edit the column names in powerbi instead of excel. This is because i have added DAX expressions in powerbi. How do i resolve this issue? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.