Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

City in a report displayed in two different places on two Power BI accounts.

Hi everybody,

I have encountered a rather strange problem with a report I have created. I'm using the map to show where our units are (city). I have a unit sold in Guadalajara, Mexico but as you know there is also a Guadalajara in Spain. Now, in my desktop report and cloud service it places the unit sold in the correct place (Guadalajara, Mexico). However, when I shared this report with someone else, on their BI account it appears that the location of the unit is in Guadalajara, Spain. Has this happened to anyone else? I would really appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Power BI, sometimes, even setting the data categories for mapping isn’t enough for Bing to correctly guess our intent. Some destinations are ambiguous because the location exists in multiple countries or regions. For example, there’s a Southampton in England, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Power BI uses Bing’s unstructured URL template service to get the latitude and longitude coordinates based on a set of address values for any country.

So, if your dataset doesn’t contain enough location data,you could add latitude and longitude values to your dataset which remove any ambiguity and return results more quickly.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Power BI, sometimes, even setting the data categories for mapping isn’t enough for Bing to correctly guess our intent. Some destinations are ambiguous because the location exists in multiple countries or regions. For example, there’s a Southampton in England, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Power BI uses Bing’s unstructured URL template service to get the latitude and longitude coordinates based on a set of address values for any country.

So, if your dataset doesn’t contain enough location data,you could add latitude and longitude values to your dataset which remove any ambiguity and return results more quickly.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

Try creating a calculated column that is the country and the city combined in the same field.  e.g. "Guadalajara, Mexico" and then use that field in the Location area of your visual.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.