Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmitchell

Circular dependency workaround for bar chart legends

Sample Data CSV link

Hello, I've been banging my head against the wall for a while now trying to figure out a workaround for a circular dependency issue I'm having. The problem is this: I have a large table with 200+ columns, some calculated, some queried from the source (Excel Spreadsheet). I've created three measures to calculate quarterly, annual, and all-time supplier scores (average of factory scores associated with each supplier over the respective time duration). Now I want to plot these measures in 3 different bar charts with a discrete, quintile grade scale in the legend ranging from A+ to D. 

All supplier scores should have a single grade associated with them, and this grade should change as the supplier score does. This means that when specific factory locations for a single supplier are sliced, the supplier score AND grade should change. I also need to be able to slice the measure values by grade. I'm able to do this with a nested-IF function in a calculated column (formula below), but I can only refer to one of the three measures within a single data table before getting a circular dependency error. In this formula Supplier Score by Quarter is a measure.

Supplier Grade by Quarter = IF([Supplier Score by Quarter]<50,"A+",IF([Supplier Score by Quarter]<100,"A",IF([Supplier Score by Quarter]<150,"B",IF([Supplier Score by Quarter]<200,"C","D")))) 

Here is my relationships view showing how the queries are linked. FA, IPM, and PSI are service types. 

Relationships PaneRelationships Pane

I understand why this error is occuring as explained here, but I'm hoping to find a work-around that doesn't require as much memory as duplicating the 200+ column data table for each measure-based grade column

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors