Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Circular dependency was detected: Lookupvalue

Hi,

Wondering if you could help. I have an issue where I have a calculated column as follows:

TimeCost = (LOOKUPVALUE(Training_List[Est. time],Training_List[TID],Training_Req[TID])*LOOKUPVALUE(Staff_List[SCR Rate],Staff_List[Staff No],Training_Req[Staff number]))

I have then created a calculated column as follows:

ExpCost = LOOKUPVALUE(Training_List[Est. Expense],Training_List[TID],Training_Req[TID])

The first column works as expected but unfortunately, when I try to execute the second column, I get the following error:

"A circular dependency was detected: Training_Req[TimeCost], Training_Req[ExpCost], Training_Req[TimeCost]."

I'm not sure where this circular dependency is being created... could anyone help please? I have tried looking at various solutions but am at a bit of a loss on what I can do. I would share the template file or data but unfortunately this is protected information that I cannot share.

Many thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to this third - party bolg about circular dependencies: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/.

In your case, Power BI does not allow to have two calculated columns that contain measures that are also based on that table. In order to understand why, you'd need a better understanding of what's going on under the hood.

In order to get around it, you should try turning these into measures that reference your calcllated columns.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data, describe the question and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ashish,

I can't share specific data so i'll generate information to mimic this issue.

Say I have:

table A (Training List) which has pre-populated columns training ID, training hrs, training expense and training fee where training ID is the key column.

table B (Staff List) which has pre-populated columns staff no, staff rate where J is the key column.

table C (training req) which has columns training id, staff no

This is imported into PowerBI from Excel.

I am creating two columns in table C, as follows:

TimeCost = LOOKUP(table_A[training hrs],table_A[training ID],table_C[training ID])*LOOKUP(table_B[staff rate],table_B[staff no],table_C[staff no])

ExpCost = LOOKUP(table_A[training expense],table_A[training ID],table_C[training ID])+LOOKUP(table_A[training fee],table_A[training ID],table_C[training ID])

Both formulas seem to work fine and whatever I choose in the first column works. However, when I open the second column to add information in, I get the following error:

A circular dependency was detected: Table_C[TimeCost], Table_C[ExpCost], Table_C[TimeCost].

I know a circular dependency is one depending on another which then makes it difficult to manage but in neither of these columns do I reference TimeCost or ExpCost so I don't see where the circular reference is.

Could someone help please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.