Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AntoineB
Regular Visitor

Circular Dependency

Hi,

I'm currently facing a circular Depency error working on a Power Bi report. I have one sheet in this report when two columns seem to be stuck in a circular dependency according to the error message.

Here are the to formulas of the calculated columns :

Couverture Collisage = RELATED('colisage'[colisage])/AVERAGEX(RELATEDTABLE('1cid des PF');'1cid des PF'[Quantité code mouvement.2])

Dép = 'Site-Article-Fournisseur'[Couverture Collisage]-1

And here is the circular dependency error message I get :

"Site-Article-Fournisseur[Couverture Collisage], Site-Article-Fournisseur[Dép], Site-Article-Fournisseur[Couverture Collisage]"

Can anyone help me one this please?

Thanks,

Antoine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WP
Frequent Visitor

Antoine,

Well my next try would be to make the model less complex. E.g. the intermediaire table has a 1-1 wit the other table, maybe there is a way to combine them since the fields in both seem similar as well? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
WP
Frequent Visitor

Hi Antoine,

how do the relationships look between the different tables : 'colisage', '1cid des PF' and 'Site-Article Fournisseur' Do all tables have primary keys?

Are these 3 the only tables in the model? Do you have filtering in both directions on for all relations in the model (which will lead to ambiguity in the model and circular dependencies)?

Error message says that to calculate couverture collisage, the formula is also taking Dép into account, and not only vice versa, so I think key to solution lies in looking in to the relationships between your tables.   

AntoineB
Regular Visitor

I'm not sure the tables have primary keys (I have not found how to manage primary key directly in PBI).

The relation between tables are the following :

Does it help to understand?

Capture.PNG

WP
Frequent Visitor

Antoine,

Try disabling bidirectional filtering on at least one of your one2many relationships, by double clicking on relationships and direct them from 1 to many. (default)

Harder to explain why then to try 🙂

The idea goes something like : when calculating your couverture collisage, you allow filtering your S-A-F table by other tables. The moment another table filters the S-A-F table, this contains the dép column. The fact that filtering is possible either through fcid and colisage at the same time adds some ambiguity. Removing the bidirectional filter, would solve this if this is the cause.

good luck!

AntoineB
Regular Visitor

Thanks for for ideas but I'm afraid it don't work. Any other idea?

WP
Frequent Visitor

Antoine,

Well my next try would be to make the model less complex. E.g. the intermediaire table has a 1-1 wit the other table, maybe there is a way to combine them since the fields in both seem similar as well? 

AntoineB
Regular Visitor

I think the last idea worked, thanks a lot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.