Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Circular Dependency when adding custom columns

Hi All,

Basically, I get a circular dependency because I am creating a scoring system to put on a line graph. I am able to do what I want with a measure, but I can't get the measure into the line graph visualization that I need. 

Calculated column 1 comes from different collected metrics, and creates a score based on those metrics.

Calculated column 2 takes calculated column 1 sum + adds to that.

Calculated column 3 takes calculated 2 sum + adds to that.

Lastly, Calculated column 4 takes calculated colum 3 sum and add to that.

The plan is to then unpivot calculated columns 1,2,3,4 into a type, so I can then put them on a line graph with the axis being columns 1-4. 

Unfortunately, whenever I try to add calculated columns, even if I just do the calculated column 1 source formula and add it to calculated column 2, I get a circular dependency. 

Is there any ideas to solve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the late reply, I think you can try using variables to avoid Circular Dependency.

11.PNG

Here is a demo, please try it:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EWSJ5bjTdUhPo1-WCEgWro8Bg0ABS34DXVqTI9IssR9-kw?e=Ph0vlu

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm a little confused by your description. Kindly share your sample data and expected result if you don't have any Confidential Information.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joesh,

I do have some confidential info unfortunately, but I may be able to describe better and give examples.

I'm creating a scoring system that I want to put on a line graph, each point being a stage (4 stages/customer) so I cannot use measures as I can only do one measure on a line graph. However, measures do accurately calculate each stage. The main table that all the metrics link to (including this summary table) includes a customer identifier, so I'd be able to filter my report tailored to each customer.

Each stage adds the previous stage before. So, Stage one is calculated by this equation:

Stage 1 = CALCULATE(if ((SUM('questionnaire'[q1])) = 1,4,0))

+ Calculate(if ((SUM ('questionnaire'[q2])) = 1,3,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM ('questionnaire'[q3])) = 1,2,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM ('telemtry'[metric1])) > 4,3,0))
+ Calculate(if ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric2]))> 4,5,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric3])) > 50, 3,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric4])) > 5,2,0))
+ Calculate (IF ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric5])) > 100, 3,0))

Stage 2 =  = CALCULATE (('Line graph'[stage 1]) ## adding the stage1 to this score..
+ Calculate (if (Calculate (COUNTROWS('billingdata'),'billingdata'[specificSKU] = "specificproduct") > 1,2,0))
+ Calculate(if ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric6])) > 2,3,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric7])) > 4,-3,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM ('telemetry'[metric8])) > 3,5,0))
+ Calculate(if ((SUM ('questionnaire'[q4])) = 1,5,0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM('questionnaire'[q5])) = 1, 5, 0))
+ Calculate (if ((SUM('questionnaire'[q6])) =1, 5, 0)))

When I try to add the second score in a calculated column, I get the circular dependency error

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the late reply, I think you can try using variables to avoid Circular Dependency.

11.PNG

Here is a demo, please try it:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EWSJ5bjTdUhPo1-WCEgWro8Bg0ABS34DXVqTI9IssR9-kw?e=Ph0vlu

Best Regards,

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.