Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Circular Dependency in calculated column

Dear Team,

I have these two measures, as shown below,  

1. ZF_Check1 = ([ZF_PM-7])-([ZF_PM-6]) + ([ZF_PM-6])-([ZF_PM-5]) +([ZF_PM-5])-([ZF_PM-4])
+ ([ZF_PM-4])-([ZF_PM-3]) + ([ZF_PM-3])-([ZF_PM-2]) + ([ZF_PM-2])- ([ZF_PM-1])
+ ([ZF_PM-1])-([ZF_PM]) + ([ZF_PM])-([ZF_CM])

ZF_Check2 = ABS(sum([RecValue]))+ ABS(sum([FmtInValue]))+ abs(sum([FmtOutValue]))+
abs(sum([IssValue]))+abs(sum([ZF_AdjValueN]))+abs(sum([ZF_AdjValueP]))+1

then I need two columns as shown below but the second column shows circular dependency on column 1. I really need to use column cause I will be using slicer based on these two columns.

ZF_Formula1 = IF( [ZF_Check1] > 0 , "Check", "OK")
ZF_Formula2 = if ( [ZF_Check1] > [ZF_Check1], "Check", "OK") - Shows error as shown below

"A circular dependency was detected: FACT_IA_IIIO_XQ227[ZF_Formula2], FACT_IA_IIIO_XQ227[ZF_Formula1], FACT_IA_IIIO_XQ227[ZF_Formula2]."

Any help would be much appreciated, as this is a crucial requirement of the project 😞

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Firstly, the result of [ZF_Formula2] is always "OK", why not adding a column of Text directly?

Secondly, you call a measure in a calculated column, which introduces a filter context by filtering conversion. So there could be a very simple solution that is replacing the measure with the formula directly like below.

ZF_Formula1 =
VAR ZF_Check1 = ( [ZF_PM-7] ) - ( [ZF_PM-6] ) + ( [ZF_PM-6] ) - ( [ZF_PM-5] ) + ( [ZF_PM-5] ) - ( [ZF_PM-4] ) + ( [ZF_PM-4] ) - ( [ZF_PM-3] ) + ( [ZF_PM-3] ) - ( [ZF_PM-2] ) + ( [ZF_PM-2] ) - ( [ZF_PM-1] ) + ( [ZF_PM-1] ) - ( [ZF_PM] ) + ( [ZF_PM] ) - ( [ZF_CM] )
RETURN
    IF ( ZF_Check1 > 0, "Check", "OK" )

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

the first fromula1  works but in my second formula, I need to use formula 1, to compare the values, is it possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

so basically, with your suggestion, if I create this then I get the same error of circular dependency.

ZF_Formula2 =
VAR ZF_Check1 = ( [ZF_PM-7] ) - ( [ZF_PM-6] ) + ( [ZF_PM-6] ) - ( [ZF_PM-5] ) + ( [ZF_PM-5] ) - ( [ZF_PM-4] ) + ( [ZF_PM-4] ) - ( [ZF_PM-3] ) + ( [ZF_PM-3] ) - ( [ZF_PM-2] ) + ( [ZF_PM-2] ) - ( [ZF_PM-1] ) + ( [ZF_PM-1] ) - ( [ZF_PM] ) + ( [ZF_PM] ) - ( [ZF_CM] )

VAR ZF_Check2 = ABS(sum([RecValue]))+ ABS(sum([FmtInValue]))+ abs(sum([FmtOutValue]))+
abs(sum([IssValue]))+abs(sum([ZF_AdjValueN]))+abs(sum([ZF_AdjValueP]))+1

RETURN
IF ( ZF_Check1 > ZF_Check2 , "Check", "OK" )

Hi @Anonymous ,

The [ZF_Check1] is a column now. You can use it directly in the second measure [ZF_Formula2]. The [ZF_Check2] is a static value in all rows. It should work. 

Can you share the file? Please mask the sensitive parts. You only need to keep the minimum rows that can reproduce the issue.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.