Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Choropleth using 3 digit US zip code

Is there any mapping currently in Power BI that allows me to fill in color on a US map based on the first 3 digits of the zip code. I cannot use the zip code level as I get an error message telling me I have too many zip codes.

So for example, I would like to program my map to show light green for the value of 2 for any zip code that begins with "121". I would need to map different values for all the US.

Thanks!

Dave P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

The map visual doesn't support to display too much data. As the whole US contains too much zip code that the map can't display, it will throw this message:

w1.PNG

We need to apply filter to decrease map data each time. So in your scenario, one work around is to duplicate map visuals to several copies and apply different filters in each copy, makes sure we can see whole US zip code from those copies.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

According to your description, you want to fill color for those location which has the same first 3 digits of the zip codes, right?

In your scenario, you can create a custom column to return first 3 digits of the zip codes like below:

First3Zip = left(Geo[Zip],3)

Then drag the Filled Map visual to the report, place this custom column in Legend property. You can go to Data Colors option to change prefer color. See:

q2.PNGq4.PNGq5.PNG

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks  Qiuyun_Yu. You proposed solution would work for a few 3-digit areas but I believe this would still run into the 5000 limitation for doing the whole US. I unfortunately will need this for all US.

Dave

Hi @Anonymous,

The map visual doesn't support to display too much data. As the whole US contains too much zip code that the map can't display, it will throw this message:

w1.PNG

We need to apply filter to decrease map data each time. So in your scenario, one work around is to duplicate map visuals to several copies and apply different filters in each copy, makes sure we can see whole US zip code from those copies.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors