Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hans_NewBee

Chord diagram

Dear Power BI users,

As a newbie I have a few questions regarding the use of Power BI and chord diagrams.

I like to make a chord diagram with a drill down function. And yes, there are a lot of examples shown on the internet (i.e. Youtube), but I am always missing a piece of the puzzle.

Current challenges:

• Sometimes there are examples available, but the Excel source file isn’t there. Reverse engineering is not an easy task or sometimes it is impossible to do..
  • It looks that there are lot of ways to make a drill down overview that it gets confusing for me.

For example regarding the last comment:

There are drill down examples based on one tab in Power BI.
Illustration -> tab name: Geography -> 3 columns (Country header with names, City header with names and Street header with names). But sometimes there are also different/more tabs that are used in a hierarchical model (with links 1-1 1-n n-n).  

So what is the right/easy approach?

I noticed that everybody is very enthusiastic and creative, but is there an easy/simple way to explain how to create a drill down overview (without all the bells and whistles)?

Thank you in advance for an answer!

Best regards,

Hans  

PS.

I hope this is the right category for this topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Yingjie,

Thank you very much for your answer. So , there are still some constraints in PowerBI.

But now I know I don't have to look further. Thanks again! 🙂 

Best regards,

Hans 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hans_NewBee ,

"Sometimes there are examples available, but the Excel source file isn’t there. Reverse engineering is not an easy task or sometimes it is impossible to do.."

Not certain what did it represent, you can try to create your own data sample based on the video and I have attached a sample file in the below to use Chord.

"It looks that there are lot of ways to make a drill down overview that it gets confusing for me."

Based on my test, drill down seems not support in power bi currently because each field of Chord could only be put just one column field.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Yingjie,

Thank you very much for your answer. So , there are still some constraints in PowerBI.

But now I know I don't have to look further. Thanks again! 🙂 

Best regards,

Hans 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.