Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

awff
Helper III
Helper III

Choose columns vs remove columns

Hi,

A question I ask myself is in terms of performance is there any advantage between choose columns vs remove columns?

I understand that choose columns would provide an easier means to trace and revert back any columns that maybe needed in the future, but does either of the two actually provide an advantage?

2 REPLIES 2
pk_Ross
Regular Visitor

Best practise is to choose the columns that you want to keep, and don't make any reference to unwanted columns. That way if the data source were to change for one of those unwanted columns (deleting or renaming), it won't break your model - nothing more annoying than having a refresh break because of a source change for a column you weren't even interested in. Moreover, this also protects your model from the appearance of new (and unwanted) columns in your data source. If you're getting down to your preferred columns by explicitly removing the unwanted ones, then if a new unwanted column is added, it flows out into your data model until you update the code to add it to the remove list.

I agree with @pk_Ross . You want to choose only those that are relevant to your data model, those that you want to keep. You don't want unnecessary columns to suddenly pop-up in your model.  Do Remove if you expect that those columns will not be deleted  or renamed in the future.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.