Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bix
Frequent Visitor

Child tasks indent into parent tasks.

Dear Fellows, 

Please help me out step by step to indent the child tasks into parent tasks in Table. And make the parent tasks bold. 

Looking forward for your kind support. As I tried to get some help with the following link, but no luck. 

123.JPG 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi,@bix

Here is an idea without drilldown, just visual indenting of the taskname, assumed you have a SortIndex within your datasource or can generate it.

You could calculate a column "IndentedTaskName" by prepending blanks depending on the level of the task.

In case you do not have the task-level information, maybe you could calculate that too: for example if ID starts with "F." then TaskLevel=0 otherwise TaskLevel = number of dots in ID

If you only have two levels as in your screenshot it would be even simpler:

TaskLevel = IF(Left('Tasks'[ID]; 2)= "F."; 0; 1) 

IndentedTaskName = CONCATENATE(REPT(" "; [TaskLevel]); [TaskName])

indent taskname.png

Using conditional formatting, you could then style the tasks depending on TaskLevel.

I think the ID column of your screenshot does not contain the parent child relationship and sort order of tasks.

Best Regards,

Florian

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi,@bix

You may try to use drill down function in the visual 

for example:

2.PNG

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-visualization-drill-down

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin, 

Thanks for reply. Yes, I am using visual level filters. But I want to indent child task under the parent task. 

I tried the following method but no luck. If you have any other suggestion or idea, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Salman

hi,@bix

we need more detail steps, Could you please show us the method you had tried and it is better to share some screenshot for us

Please share some data sample and the expected output. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Data source is cloud. Following is the screen shot, it's just simple table in power BI. Please assist me to use drill down function if is possible by drill down. You can consider me as beginner. I think this could be possible by scripting. 

F.1 is a parent and 5 alpha-numaric ID are child. All parent tasks are in format of F.1

bi. 123.JPG

hi,@bix

Here is an idea without drilldown, just visual indenting of the taskname, assumed you have a SortIndex within your datasource or can generate it.

You could calculate a column "IndentedTaskName" by prepending blanks depending on the level of the task.

In case you do not have the task-level information, maybe you could calculate that too: for example if ID starts with "F." then TaskLevel=0 otherwise TaskLevel = number of dots in ID

If you only have two levels as in your screenshot it would be even simpler:

TaskLevel = IF(Left('Tasks'[ID]; 2)= "F."; 0; 1) 

IndentedTaskName = CONCATENATE(REPT(" "; [TaskLevel]); [TaskName])

indent taskname.png

Using conditional formatting, you could then style the tasks depending on TaskLevel.

I think the ID column of your screenshot does not contain the parent child relationship and sort order of tasks.

Best Regards,

Florian

bix
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. 

So far, ID column indented. But still I am looking for to Bold or change color for specific row. Such as, I want to bold or color change of parent task or milestone. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.