Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dude95
Resolver I
Resolver I

Child Table - Only display for Parent selected on report

Maybe this is an easy one - I don't know.

I have a report that contains two tables  - Issues and Issue Comments.  Both are keyed off of Issue ID and linked by that field in the model.

What I'd like to to is only show comments that are selected in the issue table.  The tricky part is when there is no issue selected, no comments should show.  Is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dude95 you can follow the same technique posted here

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @dude95 ,

Make sure the relationship in your data model is many(comments) to one(issues). Create a slicer panel that has issues as values and Select single select only option form selection control. Also, create table visual displaying the comments column. This will display the comments from default/selected value only. It is not possible to blank upon no-selection without DAX. You can use the SWITCH function for that. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dude95 you can follow the same technique posted here

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

On a whim - decided to test approach with selecting a record in table vs slicer.  Same variable works and this solution is good!  Thank you for your help.

This is close to what I'm looking for and I can incorporate it into the mix. 

The one loop is that this is on a project report and I don't want to have a slicer for issue id.  What I'd like to have happen is that all of the issues are displayed in the table - then a user can select a single Issue ID in the table itself - causing the issue comments to filter.

A slicer means that the user would have to look at the issue IDs that are displayed, then go find that ID in the slicer drop down rather than just click on the individual issue row.

Is there a way to figure out if a row in the issue table is selected?  Then incorporate your solution to the Issue Comments table?  Basically if there is a row selected in the issues table, I'll uncover the records in the comments table as you gave in your solution.

Hi @dude95 ,

What you are looking for is certainly possible. But, it is difficult to write down in theory terms. If possible upload some sample data and a screenshot of your current report, then it will be more easy to draft an actual DAX.

Thanks for the reply.

This is a weekly status report I'm building.  Copied in the slicer panel, status report and Issues area.  The idea is you are looking at a single status report on the screen at once.  That mean N number of issues.  I'd like to be able to select an issue in the table visualization for issues and see all of the comments about that issue.  Don't want to go to new screen.  Don't want to show 50 comments about all of the different issues for that project - that would be confusing.

Any thoughts?  Here are the two tables - Issues and Issue Comments.  

Issues Data.jpg

Issues comments data.jpg

Then the screenshots of my report.  Here are the slicers

Slicers.jpg

The status area (probably irrelevant)

Status.jpg

And here is the area I want to manipulate.  Issue table along with the comments that are tied to the issues.

Tasks and Issues.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.