Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPalmberg
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Checking for record presence in distantly related table

Hi.

I'm trying to create a measure that returns a value based on whether an ID and column value is present in a related table. I'm trying to emulate the solution from this post.

NameExists = if(CALCULATE(
	COUNTROWS(Table2),
	FILTER(Table2,Table2[FirstName] = EARLIER(Table1[Name] ) &&
		Table2[MiddleName] = EARLIER(Table1[Name])),
		FILTER(Table2,Table2[Reporting month] = Table1[Reporting Month])
	)
	 > 0,
	"Yes",
	"No"
)

Here's what my relationships look like:

DQed.PNG

I'd like to end up with a slicer that enables me to exclude values for Unit in the Prospect Pool table when the HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID and Unit values match in the Household DQ Unit table. I also don't seem to be able to be able to get RELATEDTABLE to work when I attempt to create a calculated column on the Prospect Pool table:

DQ for Unit = IF(CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS(FILTER(RELATEDTABLE('Household DQ Unit'),'Household DQ Unit'[UNIT]=

Thanks a lot for any thoughts you can spare! (Power BI Desktop for Report Server January 2019, FWIW.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MarkPalmberg ,

The calculated table Household DQ Unit won't affect the formula. Try to delete the relationship between table Household DQ Unit and HOUSEHOLDIDS , and create relationship between table Household DQ Unit and Prospect Pool, note that the Cross filter direction is still Both, which will treat the three tables as a single table. Then create column like DAX below.

DQ for Unit = IF(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE('Prospect Pool'[UNIT],'Prospect Pool'[UNIT],'Household DQ Unit'[UNIT]))&& ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE('Prospect Pool'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID],'Prospect Pool'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID],'Household DQ Unit'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID])) ,"not Match", "Match" )

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarkPalmberg ,

Try to create column like DAX below, then let it as source of slicer visual.

DQ for Unit = IF(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Prospect Pool','Prospect Pool'[UNIT]='Household DQ Unit'[UNIT]&&'Prospect Pool'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID]='Household DQ Unit'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID]))>0,"Match","not Match")

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much for this reply, @v-xicai . I think I may have tracked down my trouble. I get as far as:

DQ for Unit = IF(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Prospect Pool','Prospect Pool'[UNIT]=

and then autocomplete isn't populating the name of my Household DQ Unit table, which is a calculated table. Perhaps the calculated table is what's confounding the process? I apologize for not including that info in my original post. Here's the code for that table:

Household DQ Unit = 
CALCULATETABLE (
    SUMMARIZE(
        'Qualification Interactions',
        'Qualification Interactions'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID],
        'Qualification Interactions'[BUSINESS UNIT]
    ),
    FILTER (
        'Qualification Interactions',
        'Qualification Interactions'[OUTCOME] IN {"Disqualified for Business Unit", "Disqualified for BI"}
    )
)

So now I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way to accomplish what I'm after. Thank you again for taking a look at this; I appreciate your time.

Hi @MarkPalmberg ,

The calculated table Household DQ Unit won't affect the formula. Try to delete the relationship between table Household DQ Unit and HOUSEHOLDIDS , and create relationship between table Household DQ Unit and Prospect Pool, note that the Cross filter direction is still Both, which will treat the three tables as a single table. Then create column like DAX below.

DQ for Unit = IF(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE('Prospect Pool'[UNIT],'Prospect Pool'[UNIT],'Household DQ Unit'[UNIT]))&& ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE('Prospect Pool'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID],'Prospect Pool'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID],'Household DQ Unit'[HOUSEHOLDLOOKUPID])) ,"not Match", "Match" )

Best Regards,

Amy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.