Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

justin777
Frequent Visitor

Checking for divided by zero in Direct Query

Hi Guys, 

I can't seem to figure out how to properly solve the divided by zero. 

I have read some threads on the same subject but nothing works on my end. 
I already did check the box "Allow unrestricted measures in Direct Query Mode", restarted my computer to be sure that it is working but still not working. 

I tried

• try [#"Var1"] / [#"Var2"]
  • if [#"Var1"] <> null then [#"Var1"] / [#"Var2"]
  • iferror 

still I get the error: This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery Mode. 

Any choice I have? The only reason I'm using DirectQuery mode is that if I use Import Mode, weirdly enough this one view in my SQL Database always get a timeout error. Somewhere in between its getting an endless loop which is weird. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @justin777,

Based on my test, you can use the “if” function to divide the data with 0 that you want to show like the picture below, you can also use the “Divide” function in DAX with your data in report. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/divide-function-dax

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Are you using the DirectQuery method? Because in my case it is saying it doesn't support if when I put it

For me this solution works. Thanks!

Are you certain your not using the traditional (excel-like) IF-statement (Capitalized and with brackets), instead of the if- then-else (lowecase) variant?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.