Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GalaxyNetworks

Charts messed up when using UTC during local Daylight Saving change.

It may just be me. I actually hope it's just me being stupid. But does the charts really use local time to offset data?

I Denmark we changed to CEST at 3/25/2018 02:00 AM CET (or rather 3/25/2018 03:00 AM CEST)
This not only left a one hour hole in my data as my PowerBI timestamp column wasn't set to DateTimeZone. I guess it used my local time zone? Even though the values are in TZ format. That's Zulu time... Utc... +00:00!

After changing the column type the data hole was gone. In table view you can also clearly see the +00:00 offset now and the times looks correct.

Now lets plot the data in a chart: PowerBI - Image X-axis is timestamp and Y-axis is a test value.

The value for 12:00 +00:00 from the dataset is correctly shown on the chart with x = 12:00 AM.
The value for 01:00 +00:00 from the dataset is however also shon on the chart with x = 12:00 AM.
This of course looks odd when a power accumulation line suddenly goes one hour back in time... This is easily fixed by changing my system time to UTC, but that can't really be expected, right?

Am I missing some obvious options, or is this a bug in PowerBI?

/Peter

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@GalaxyNetworks,

Where do you change to CEST at 3/25/2018 02:00 AM CET ? Could you please post a screenshot about your local time zone setting and region setting?

From the above image, I note that custom values of 12:00 AM in the chart is not equal to custom value of 12:00 +00:00 +  custom value of 01:00 +00:00. Could you please post the original timestamp values without any data type formats in your table?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, that image shows a test example of data entered directly into PowerBI. The timestamp entered is in TZ format. Like, 2018/03/29T23:45:00Z and 2018/03/30T01:00:00Z

After selecting date/time/zone as the datatype, my timestamps are now shown correctly in preview tables and when added to the report as a table view. So the data list shown in the picture is fine.

The problem is when I plot my values with the timestamp on the x-axis. If I plot y: 45, x: 12:45 AM, it correctly shows 45 at 12:45 AM. If I then plot 60 at 1AM it moves one hour back and plots it at 12AM.

My system timezone is set to Denmark/Copenhagen. +1 CET (+2 since we entered summer time - CEST)
If I change my system time to UTC the graph is shown correctly. That's why I'm wondering if the graph are using local time instead of just plotting the timestamps in its original format.

I will post some extra examples later...

/Peter

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.