Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ballr
Frequent Visitor

Charting of Averages Not Working (As I expected)

I am new to Power BI and most likely am missing something very basic.

I have Rating data that I am summarizing (average) by year.  Oddly, when I do this, I am getting  a very different value than what I get in my Excel analysis. Looking into the data (View Records) I see that only unique values are being aggregated (I have 8 values of 5 and 1 of 4 so it should be close to 4.9 but instead I am only seeing one record for 4 and one record for 5 so the average is 4.5).

Is there a reason Power BI is only viewing unique values? 

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, can you post some sample data and any calculations so that we can recreate? It sounds like there is a "DISTINCT" going on somewhere in the calculations. Can you walk me through how you are "View Records" of the data? Are you talking about going to the data model and looking at the records there? If that is the case, then something in your query is filtering out your records.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

smoupre,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have posted some sample data below for your to try to recreate the issue - although when I manually entered the data in a new model, it worked for me - so I fear it is maybe tied to a relationship that I established or a filter/distinct somewhere, as you mentioned.

I have removed all filtered data in the Query Editor as well as reviewed all of my custom measures/columns to ensure I don't have DISTINCT formulas.

You can see in the sample data below that the Average of Rating adds up to 4.5 when that is not the correct value.  Thoughts?Ratings.JPG 

hmmmm so how about a sanity check; you've probably done this but; with table visual highlighted - open the drop down for that field in the Visualization pane and select 'Don't Summarize' .... does the value go away? ... and then just for fun select 'Sum'... does that value add correctly??

www.CahabaData.com

I appreciate the sanity check - and nothing is beneath trying 🙂

I selected 'Don't Summarize' and the data table dropped the average value (and added in a few values i force blank through a if statement (if =0 then BLANK()), as shown below.

Ratings.JPG

Then I select SUM of the data and while it does add it up, it doesn't do it correctly. See below:

Ratings2.JPG

Hi ballr ,

According to your description, I try to build a table as you display.

Below is my sample:

Source table.

Capture.PNG

Dax:

Table = SELECTCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year],Sheet1[RatingDesc],Sheet1[Type Calc],Sheet1[Rating]),"Year",[Year],"RatingDesc",[RatingDesc],"Type Calc",[Type Calc],"Rating",IF([Rating]<>0,[Rating],BLANK()))

Capture2.PNG

Create a table visual:

Capture3.PNG

Sum of rating:

Capture4.PNG

Average of rating:

Capture5.PNG

The visual works well on my side.

Since I can’t reproduce your issue, could you upload the pbix file to OneDrive and share us a link?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

is definitely grouped on Rating.  In your most basic core data table itself those values (4,5) are existing on each row?  I ask because it could instead be a join to a rating table so that 4 & 5 only actually exist twice; though appearing on each row in the displayed visualization....

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.