Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

epearson

Charting Monthly Data from different tables

So every month I receive updated data in new tables. I am really struggling to layer those data points together so I can show trends on a month-to-month basis. Do I need to add a column to each month's table? What's the simplest way to demonstrate how our portfolio is changing on a monthly basis?

Not able to update to the latest version of Power BI due to internal IT issues. 

Thank you!!

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@epearson

Since you get new table with updated data every, I assume you have same structure on each table. You need to add an month identifier column in each table. Then you can use "Append Queries" feature to append to new data table into a single table.

Capture22.PNG

When putting the data into a chart (visaul), just use that month identifier column as Category on X-axis.

Regards,

kchan
Frequent Visitor

Epearson, you're on the right track.

At a high level:

1) Add a column representing the date and populate it. This can be at the source (recommended) or you can manually enter it each time you load new tables/data.  In most cases you want this column's type as Date.

2) Import all tables/data into one big table/dataset.  

3) Build Measures/KPIs/Visualizations off the big table/dataset.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If all of the data is in the same format, I would recommend a Folder query. Dump all of the files into a folder with nothing else and then use the Folder query to import all of the data into a single table. When you get a new month, dump that file into the folder and refresh. Then, you will have a single table with all of your data that you can then use to show trends very easily.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

How do you create a folder querry? is this something specific or just a folder in the computer and just import that folder?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.