Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Charticulator - Tick Formatting

I'm trying to change the format of the X axis labels for date values in the example chart below. I've read in the Charticulator documentation that d3 syntax is needed (e.g., %Y-%m-%d). I've tried several variations but haven't found the right syntax yet. Can someone provide an example of what to put in the Tick Data and/or Tick Format fields to get yyyy-MM-dd, for example?

mahoneypat_0-1642466746850.png

@Burningsuit 

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @mahoneypat 

d3-format is for formatting numerics, not dates. So you won't be able to format it with Tick Format. Charticulator gives you a default continuous axis, just like Power BI does. If you just want to not show the time element, reformat the data type in Power BI from "Datetime" to "Date".

Hope this helps

Stuart

PS. Our book "Introducing Charticulator for Power BI: Design Vibrant and Customized Visual Representations of Data" should be out soon, hopefully before then end of February, and gives a lot more detail.

Congratulations on your book. Your blog articles were helpful, so I assume the book will be too. The column (and measure) are already Date format. The issue is that my example has 6 days/rows but the chart puts a minimum of 10 ticks (so it needs to put time values too). It would be good to know if there is a way to specify the # of ticks, but, in practice, I would have more than 10 rows. D3 does have syntax for date values, so it looks possible.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.