Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chart legend to match conditional formatted column

I have a chart that has conditional formatted columns based on a value (positive green, negative red). This causes the legend to show incorrectly. I guess because there is a posibility that a series could have more than 1 colour due to conditional formatting and from my understanding the legend can only show one colour per series. Is it either possible to remove just 1series from the legend or for the legend to show muliple colours?Difference should show red, not green. If the next year was positive (green) should it show both green and red?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a visual that provides an answer to this that was realised in August 2019 called 'xviz multiple axis chart', see screen shot below:Legend Issue.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here is my sample data.6-1.PNG

If you want to show multiple colors, you can put the “Difference” field into column series.6-2.PNG

When you used the "Conditional formatting", the label color of "Difference" has nothing to do with the displayed column color.

6-3.PNG

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-eachen-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I agree when you say that  'the label color of "Difference" has nothing to do with the displayed column color'. But thats the problem, difference is shown as green but really doesn't relate to anything. The user will look at the chart and struggle to understand what the colour green and "Difference" relates to. Ideally "Difference" wouldn't show in the legend once conditional formatting has been put in place, is there a way of removing "Difference" from the legend?

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my test, I'm afraid that we cannot achieve your requirement in Power BI currently.

You could submit your idea in Power BI ideas Forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-eachen-msft,

thank you for the quick reply, seems strange that its not somthing that would of been developed alongside the conditional formatting of colours within visuals. 

I see somebody has already posted the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/38335789-legend-color-in-conditio... - @jesús please vote.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a visual that provides an answer to this that was realised in August 2019 called 'xviz multiple axis chart', see screen shot below:Legend Issue.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.