Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BrandonP2121
Helper II
Helper II

Chart formatting help

Hello,

I am putting together a chart that has months on one axis, and numbers on the other. However, it looks like the months on the chart are sorted alphabetically instead of in date order (Jan, Feb, Mar; etc). How would I go about getting these sorted so they go in the actual order?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrandonP2121 ,

If you enter the month directly without date, your month column is just a text type column, it will not sort like Jan, Feb, Mar..

text month.png

You need to create a date table and set the date hierarchy as Month to sort by month normally.

date month.png

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrandonP2121 ,

If you enter the month directly without date, your month column is just a text type column, it will not sort like Jan, Feb, Mar..

text month.png

You need to create a date table and set the date hierarchy as Month to sort by month normally.

date month.png

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, how do I got about creating a date table?

cmilligan262
Helper II
Helper II

If you are using a date table create a column for month number using the formula Month No. = Month(Date)

Click on the month column then in the column tools tab under sort sort the column by Month No.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.