Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sohelsyed
Frequent Visitor

Chart Interactions Issue

Hello,

Need some inputs on the below issue.

I have a report with Pie chart (Drill enabled), Column chart, text viewer and a table. Data filters from Pie chart to column chart and table. And from colum chart to the text viewer. I have disabled cross filter interactions from column chart to Pie chart and table so that any on click action on column chart should have no impact on Pie chart, Table, but still when I click on any column or anywhere inside the column chart area all the visuals (Pie chart, table) are displaying all data.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

8 REPLIES 8
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sohelsyed,

Based on my test, after disabling the interactions from column chart to pie chart and table, when I click on any column bar in column chart, it won't affect pie chart and table. That is to say, the filter doesn't apply to them, both pie chart and table display all data records.

1.PNG

So, from your description, I was confused about your problem. You said you had disabled cross filter interaction, but you were concerned about why all visuals display all data when clicking on any column bar, right? Would you please elaborate your question with more detailed information?

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

with filter on pie chartwith filter on pie chartafter clicking on any column or anywhere in the column chartafter clicking on any column or anywhere in the column chart

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thank you for the response. I'm sorry for the problem description being confusing.

Let me elaborate using screenshots. In first screenshot I have applied filter by clicking on "Proposed" section under Pie chart and it does filter table, column chart which is good. Now further if I want to click on any column inside the column chart to display the details in right bottom section of report it removes the filter from pie chart and hence table shows all the values. To display the details I'm using "Long Text viewer" custom visual and I have disabled filter from this component too

I may be doing something wrong as this is the first time I'm using this tool. Greatly appreciate your help.

Interaction from column chartInteraction from column chart

Here is the screenshot of interaction from column chart.

PS: I also tried to delete "Long Text View" visual from the report and kept only three visuals Pie, column chart and table still the same behavior

Hi @sohelsyed,

From what i can understand from your prints and explanations you have all the interactions with thw column chart disable so what is happening is the normal behaviour with the rest of the visuals since the selection is of a column is not acting upon any of the other visuals all the data is displayed on them, the selections you make on each visual in your report do not stay fixed when you select another visual.
So when you highlight the pie chart the other visuald are filtered when you change your selection to a column the pie chart loses it focus.and the rest of the visuals loose their filter.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thank you @MFelix for the details. I think even after disabling filter from column chart if the selection impacts other visuals then its a bug.

Hi @sohelsyed,

What details did you want to show when clicking on any column inside the column chart? Do you mean this action should filter the "Long Text viewer" to show corresponding information?

As I know, click on any column bar in column chart or any part in pie chart will cross filter other visuals. If we click twice, that means cancel the former action. In other words, all visuals show all data records without filter. So, I'm afraid your requirement cannot be achieved now.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Yes, I would like to display details from column chart to "Long text viewer".

Hi @sohelsyed,

Now I get your requirement. Based on my test, if we click any column bar in column chart, it can filter "Long text viewer" to show corresponding records. But if click it again, the filter is canceled. Unfortunately, I'm afraid your requirement is not supported in Power BI desktop right now.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.