Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Emanshu
Frequent Visitor

Character Limit on Value Function?

Hello, 

Is there a character limit on the Value function?   

I have a concanted column with values in lengths from 6 to 7071, if I try to convert it to a whole number or even add a new column by using test = value(column) I receive an error. However it seems to work for text lengths less than 309 characters. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Emanshu Given your observed behavior of a 308 character limit, it looks like it's interpreting the values as decimals, which are limited to roughly 10^308. Note that even within this limit, you only get about 15 decimal digits of reliable precision.

May I ask what you need such giant numbers for? Typically, it makes more sense to work with text strings with data of that lengh.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Emanshu , the whole number have limitation in term of size

check limits here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-data-types

@Emanshu Given your observed behavior of a 308 character limit, it looks like it's interpreting the values as decimals, which are limited to roughly 10^308. Note that even within this limit, you only get about 15 decimal digits of reliable precision.

May I ask what you need such giant numbers for? Typically, it makes more sense to work with text strings with data of that lengh.

@AlexisOlson Thank you for the clarfication.
My goal is to create an identifyer for unique number patterns/sequences.  These are the first 3 account numbers that are posted by journal ID, I would like to see what unique patterns are occuring in each journal ID. 

My next step is to just pull the first number of each acconut per journal id, and try to create a sequence that way. The first number will at least tell me if it is an asset/liab/exp and so forth. Then this way I can reduce the size of each value and still try and acheive some type of pattern/sequence recognition. 

only issue I have now is pulling the distinct number and not include repeating digits as seen below. 

Emanshu_0-1635265145741.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.