Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeremie
Frequent Visitor

Changing the service user on the enterprise gateway

Can anyone help me understand why changing the service user for the enterprise gateway breaks it?  Does changing this gateway service user have any impact at all on any other authentication it might do?  (IE would it break Oauth2 authentication to sharepoint).

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 2.50.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.38.02 PM.png

thanks,

Jeremie

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jeremie,

When do you get the above error message? According to your description, you want to change service account for the On-premises gateway and want to know if the process affects data sources under the gateway. Based on my test, we would need to perform the following steps.

1. Change the account on the Log On tab within the properties of the On-premises gateway service.
2. Stop and restart the On-premises Data Gateway service by right-clicking on it and selecting “Stop” and “Start” in turn.
3. Start the On-premises Data Gateway configurator, and sign in to Power BI, then restore your existing gateway using recovery key. After that, you are able to use the registered gateway again and it doesn’t impact the authentication of your data sources.  

By the way, the account I log in the computer that has gateway installing is a domain administrator.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia.  What I would really like to understand is if it's possible to change that service account to Local Service, or anything other than NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService.  In other words, does that service HAVE to run as PBIEgwService?

@Jeremie wrote:

Thanks Lydia.  What I would really like to understand is if it's possible to change that service account to Local Service, or anything other than NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService.  In other words, does that service HAVE to run as PBIEgwService?

Hi @Jeremie,

You can change the service account to Local Service, or anything other than NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService. The service doesn't have to run as NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.