Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

Changing source of SharePoint list

Hi everybody,

For my Power BI report, I'm getting data from several different SharePoint lists. Now that the SharePoint site has been moved from a development environment to a production environment I need to change the sources of the lists in the Power BI query editor. I go to a specific query and replace the  source URL in the advanced editor with the URL of the new site. Each list still has the same name and columns, however I'm still getting the error attached to this message. I really want to avoid duplicating all of my efforts. Can someone help me with this issue?

Kind regards,

Matt

Error.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Matthias93,

>> I still get errors now, but I think this is due to the fact that Power BI doens't seem to like empty SharePoint lists. 

If you wan to change the datasource, you should ensure original steps can works on new source.(the steps which start from "Navigation")

For example:

Your original table name is "table1", but the new source not contain the "table1", it will show the error message which you mentioned.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What happens if you create a new query that attaches to that list? Does that work OK? Can you create that query and then copy the source line in Advanced Editor from one to another? I assume that the SharePoint versions are the same. Can you walk your query step tree in the UI and find the particular step that is causing the error or is it the Source step?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler a new query to the same list works perfectly, when I copy the source line from this query to an old one, I still face the same issue. I now however changed the source in the source step and selected the correct list in the navigation step. I still get errors now, but I think this is due to the fact that Power BI doens't seem to like empty SharePoint lists. 

Thanks for helping

Hi @Matthias93,

>> I still get errors now, but I think this is due to the fact that Power BI doens't seem to like empty SharePoint lists. 

If you wan to change the datasource, you should ensure original steps can works on new source.(the steps which start from "Navigation")

For example:

Your original table name is "table1", but the new source not contain the "table1", it will show the error message which you mentioned.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.