Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing power bi reports on pbi service

Hi guys, need your advice on this:
I have my power bi main file, with all the data and just one visual, for me to control certain numbers.
From here, i've created as many files i need for each "customer" that are connected to this one as a dataset.
Now, i've done many changes on it, inclusively on the naming columns. Of course, all my pbi "clients" will give an error when they will try to open those visuals. 
My idea is to rename all these pbi files (i will have 2 similar files for each) and make the changes that i need on them. When everything's done i will delete the old ones, rename the new with old names, inclusively the dataset with the same name as b4.
Let me give you an example:
The dataset is All Data. The "client" pbi file is "Main project". I've copy and past both and start working on them. Now that i have finished, the "Main project - copy" will be "Main project" (after deleting the first one) as well as the "All Data - copy" will be "All Data" only.
I hope i was clear enought for you to may help me.
Would you do differently or is this good like that? Let's assume that is very weird for my clients to be given a new link to access those reports, ok?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs
Best regards
Pedro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

So you uploaded a PBIX file (A) to Power BI Service. And then in Power BI Desktop, you connected to Power BI Dataset and created reports (B, C, ...). After changing column names in the original report (A), other reports (B, C, ...) didn't sync these changes and visuals were not visible. Right?

If so, it is suggested to remove the columns/measures in visuals and then put the new ones on it. 

One reply from Microsoft:

The report (specifically the field name used by a visual) is independent of the model, and isn’t aware of the field being renamed. Customer needs to fix the visual in Desktop and publish or modify on the web and save. Model changes like rename don't flow out to all the reports that could have been created off of them.

Reference: Changing name of a measure results in broken visuals in related reports.

If I did not understand you correctly, please share me more details.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

So you uploaded a PBIX file (A) to Power BI Service. And then in Power BI Desktop, you connected to Power BI Dataset and created reports (B, C, ...). After changing column names in the original report (A), other reports (B, C, ...) didn't sync these changes and visuals were not visible. Right?

If so, it is suggested to remove the columns/measures in visuals and then put the new ones on it. 

One reply from Microsoft:

The report (specifically the field name used by a visual) is independent of the model, and isn’t aware of the field being renamed. Customer needs to fix the visual in Desktop and publish or modify on the web and save. Model changes like rename don't flow out to all the reports that could have been created off of them.

Reference: Changing name of a measure results in broken visuals in related reports.

If I did not understand you correctly, please share me more details.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.