Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shwetketu

Changing headers when changing data source

Hi,

I wanted to know how to replace headers of the source data when changing the data source. In brief, I created a dashboard with the data source as an excel extract of a oracle database. Now, I've managed to create a live connection with the DB. The issue I'm facing is that although the table structure and data in it is same, the column headers in the excel file and the DB are different. I do not want to re-create the visuals using the new headers and simply want to replace the existing excel file with the DB connection and change the column headers names to that of the excel file so that visuals use the live data from the DB. 

To illustrate:

Original Column Headers

New Column Headers

Project

PROJECT_ITID

Name

WORK_PROJECT

Client

CLIENT_ITID

% of Variable component

COMMERCIAL_VARIABLE

% of Fixed Component

COMMERCIAL_FIXED

In the table above the  ORIGINAL COLUMN HEADERS are the fields which were in the excel file on which the dashboard visuals are based. The NEW COLUMN HEADERS are the fields in the DB. Now how can I change the data source to the DB and ensure that my visuals use the new column headers.

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Shwetketu

Does it work on your side now?

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Shwetketu

We can change the power queries in Advanced Editor as below, like changing the source and adding a rename action. The original data source is excel, and we can change it to SQL Server. 

You can create a new PBIX file to get data from the db directly to see the generated power queries by Power BI. So that you can replace the power queries with above ones in the original PBIX file which get data from excel file.

Changing headers when changing data source_3.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.