cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keondopark Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Changing datasource in Direct query mode

Hi

I am now authoring Power Bi report connecting to SQL Azure database using direct query. We frequently create new databases, so I should change data source whenever a new database is created. I use File - Options and settings - Data source settings to change the data source. It generally works fine, but sometimes it shows below message, even though all queries are coming from the same data source : 

"Connecgin to tables from more than one database is not supported in DirectQuery mode."

I am suspecting duplicated queries from other queries cause this issue, but not sure... If you have any idea, please let me know.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator Eric_Zhang

Re: Changing datasource in Direct query mode

@keondopark

I don't see that error by changing the datasource that way in your post. Please check your queries one by obe in "Edit Queries"->"Adavanced Editor" to ensure that only one database is invloved. By the way, you may consider to use Parameters  instead of that way.

Capture.PNG

keondopark Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Eric

It generally works okay, but sometimes the error occurs and I do not know why.

Maybe I should change the way I use datasource as you directed - using Parameters.

JakobGsvendsen Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have same issue... I managed to make it go away by removing the one parameter I had on the report

(it was called username, with value username() )

luckily i dont need it right now.

but It does seem there is a bug when checking multiple sources.. as it shoulnd fail on a parameter value

krousseau Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have same issue, it refreshes in the preview ok but when apply and close i get error "Connectin got tables from more than one database isn't supported in DirectQuery Mode"

krousseau Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have same issue, it refreshes in the preview ok but when apply and close i get error "Connectin got tables from more than one database isn't supported in DirectQuery Mode"

UOLandrewdale Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

You have replied to a very old topic. There is a new topic about this issues, which seems to say that it is a bug in the Jan 2018 release (version 2.54.4970.761).

updating to the 19th Jan release (version  2.54.4970.961 ) appears to fix it according to this post (have not tried it myself)

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DirectQuery-Refresh-Broken-update-january-2018/idi-p/335145#c...