Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rambler
Regular Visitor

Changing and refreshing table data source results in two tables (Data and calc columns / measures)

Hi All

I have a table (called TableX) with 25k rows and lots of calculated columns and measures. It is imported from Excel and is a subset of a SQL Server table of ~25million rows.

As all rows were then needed I changed the data source following this guide

https://www.decisivedata.net/blog/change-a-power-bi-data-source-type

However,  after accepting pending changes and refreshing, I now have two tables: TableX and TableX(2).

TableX contains all the calculated columns and TableX(2) contains the data (25m rows).

Is this correct behaviour? Is there a workaround to get just one table?

Many thanks for your help and time

Rambler

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rambler ,

You should have created a new blank query or just import the new data when you select "new source". If you follow the steps in the blog one by one, there should be one table(If you select one table) which is imported from the new data source.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Jimmy @v-yuta-msft 

I think the way you describe would create a new table without any calculated columns and measures?

I tried to revert back to Excel by changing the data source to Excel and reimporting the original table, but I ended up with three versions of TableX.

The third - TableX(3) was the Excel import, and didnt have the calculated columns.

The main issue that I seem to be having with this (..I think) is due to Pending Changes. Apologies, but I think I missed this out in my initial post. When posting originally, the internet had a bit of a think about something, and I lost the text. I re-writing I may have missed this out.

Since changing the data source to SQL Server, I cannot update any tables as I need to accept the Pending Changes re: TableX. By doing this, the two tables described initially are created.  However, due to their size, it takes a long while, and is subject to crashes and the like.

I think if I were able to remove the Pending Changes (I have googled for a solution, but no dice) it may be a bit of start

Rambler

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.