Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HxH
Helper II
Helper II

Changing an active relationship with a filter to modify a table

Hi everyone, 
I have a dataset which stores, in every line, the details about a single contract we have with customers. So, on the same line, I have both the CLOSED CONTRACT DATE (the date in which we close the contract and the production starts) and the DELIVERED DATE (the date in which we deliver the product and the process ends). In my report I have created some visualizations using "USERELATIONSHIP" to display the products at the two different stages, for example a column chart that, in a given month, shows both the new contracts and the completed deliveries. Photo for example but it's a pretty basic behaviourbbbbb.PNG

Now my problem is: how can I replicate this kind of behaviour in a table? I have created a table below this chart that has ALL the contracts listed, with some fields to give some details. The active default relationship can only be one: either link the date table with the CLOSED CONTRACT DATE or with the DELIVERED DATE. Therefore if I click on a month in the chart, I can only see the contracts related to the date which as the active relationship with my date table. If I have an active relationship between the Date table and the column CLOSED CONTRACT DATE and select a month, it will show the new contracts of that month. If I have an active relationship between the Date table and the column DELIVERED DATE, it will show the delivered products of that month.

How can I create a filter or something else that will change the relationship and in the table show the list of contracts based on the selection that my user wants to see? So that if the user selects "august2019", he also changes this filter or button or whatever and he can decide to show either the new contracts or the delivered products. 

Thanks for any help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @HxH,

if I understand your requirements correctly, you want to filter the table-visual by clicking on the columns in the bar chart. As you describe you cannot change which relationship to use in this cross-filtering. So you will have make use of a work-around

You could have 1 table for completed deliveries and 1 table for new deliveries side by side, both visible at the same time.

Or you could place the two tables on top of each other, and use bookmarks and a button to switch between which one would be visible.

Or you can create a stand-alone table. It's a bit lengthy to explain how to do this one, so I have created a mockup dataset and report to demonstrate it: report

Please notice that the measure in the status table is used in the visual filter pane of the table-visual

br,

S

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @HxH,

if I understand your requirements correctly, you want to filter the table-visual by clicking on the columns in the bar chart. As you describe you cannot change which relationship to use in this cross-filtering. So you will have make use of a work-around

You could have 1 table for completed deliveries and 1 table for new deliveries side by side, both visible at the same time.

Or you could place the two tables on top of each other, and use bookmarks and a button to switch between which one would be visible.

Or you can create a stand-alone table. It's a bit lengthy to explain how to do this one, so I have created a mockup dataset and report to demonstrate it: report

Please notice that the measure in the status table is used in the visual filter pane of the table-visual

br,

S

I did it with bookmarks but I'll check out the stand-alone table solution as well. Thanks a lot. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.