Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dw700d
Post Patron
Post Patron

Changing Dax formula from Daily to Mothly

I am  following a Sam Mckay video that allows you to create a dynamic Gantt chart using a matrix visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4mk1H94OA

Capture.PNG

I am trying to replicate the video. The visual shows days between start date and end date. But I would like my visual to instead show months between start date and end date.  The DAX below is based on days. How can I get the equivalent of what he is doing but view it from a monthly perspective? I understand VAR CurrentDay but I don’t know how to manipulate the other formulas so I can view the data from a monthly perspective.

DAX FORMULA BELOW

Step 1 =

VAR CurrentDay = MAX( Days[Days] )

VAR ProjectDays = MAX( 'Project Data'[End Date] ) - MAX( 'Project Data'[Start Date] )

VAR DaysFromStartDate = MAX( 'Project Data'[Start Date] ) - VALUE( [Selected Date] )

VAR DaysFromEndDate = DaysFromStartDate + ProjectDays

RETURN

IF(

AND( CurrentDay >= DaysFromStartDate , CurrentDay <= DaysFromEndDate ),

0 )

According to the video the logic behind the formula is  

Var CurrentDay =  work out what day we are actually in

VAR ProjectDays = How many days the project lasts, calculates the difference between end date and start date

Value([Selected Date}) = Retrieves Minimum Date on date slicer

VAR DaysFromStartDate = Work out the starting point and how many days until the start of that project

VAR DaysFromEndDate = Days from start date + how many days the project lasted

How can I Change the DAX to view monthly data instead of daily

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ZjcN2t8ps910iflDfGHmuWNBXjgevcf/view?usp=sharing

^^^^ Power BI Dashboard

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1C0mYHN2ms8XfOqzVVCjR7IYf13EJ0t/view?usp=sharing

^^^Data set

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dw700d  - I don't have an answer for your specific question, but there is a pretty good Gantt chart visual in AppSource that lets you set the granularity (day, week, month, etc). It's Gantt chart by MAQ Software.

2020-08-11 13_06_56-IT Project Tracker - Power BI Desktop.png

For your specific question, try using DATEDIFF and DATEADD instead of simple arithmetic to get the data values in months.

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dw700d  - I don't have an answer for your specific question, but there is a pretty good Gantt chart visual in AppSource that lets you set the granularity (day, week, month, etc). It's Gantt chart by MAQ Software.

2020-08-11 13_06_56-IT Project Tracker - Power BI Desktop.png

For your specific question, try using DATEDIFF and DATEADD instead of simple arithmetic to get the data values in months.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.