Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danandrew17

Changing Data Source of Transform Sample File

Hello,

I moved the source data of a PBI report and I had to change the file path source of my queries.  This worked fine for the data tables but when I tried to change the file path source for the Transform Sample File I am getting the following error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Table to type Binary.
Details:
Value=Table
Type=Type

I'm not an advanced developer but I'm surprised to get an error message because the new source file is identical to the original and there is simply a change in the name of a folder in the file path.

Hopefully somebody can help me understand how to address this.

Thanks,

Dan

11 REPLIES 11
xcherryblossomx

@danandrew17 wrote:

Hello,

I moved the source data of a PBI report and I had to change the file path source of my queries.  This worked fine for the data tables but when I tried to change the file path source for the Transform Sample File I am getting the following error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Table to type Binary.
Details:
Value=Table
Type=Type

I'm not an advanced developer but I'm surprised to get an error message because the new source file is identical to the original and there is simply a change in the name of a folder in the file path.

Hopefully somebody can help me understand how to address this.

Thanks,

Dan

I know this is probably too late but I found a solution and I hope this can help those who come across this later on. Somehow when I changed data source, my sample file's data source location didn't change with it. Which is why I had the same error.

Solution:

Go to Query Editor, click on your sample file on the query list.

On the 'Applied Steps' pane on the right side, the first step is 'Source', make sure your Source's setting is corrected to your new source location.

The second step in that same pane is 'Navigation', if you click the setting in that you'll see the folder is corrected now, but the file it's set to navigate to is still the old location. This is what needs to be fixed.

Go back to 'Source' in the Applied Steps, on the query table you'll see your sample file on the first row, now click "Binary" on column 1 on your sample file row. A new step will be created in the 'Applied Steps' - we don't need this, just delete that new step. Now you'll see the file path has been fixed in the 'Navigation' setting to the new source location.

@xcherryblossomx Thank you! Your solution works for me and I appreciate that you posted this for others like me who came across this similiar problem! 😄 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@xcherryblossomx  - God bless you! I was looking for that solution 7 days in a row... 

Take care and stay safe!

All due respect, 

Atanas

joeldevos
Frequent Visitor

This isn't a perfect answer but it worked for me. I opened a new PBI file, created a revised query with the new source. I renamed the helper quries, sample files, tranform file, and group to unique names. I highlighted just the helper queries, right clicked and selected copy, and pasted the helper files into the existing PBI file. Then I opened the advanced editor on the query in the new PBI file and copied and pasted it into the query of the PBI file I wanted it in. It saved me from having to start from scratch. 

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @danandrew17 ,

We can just click the source step to change the file path of your sample file.

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello and thank you for the response, the trouble is that when I change the source path of the Sample File, the 'Transform Sample File' step encounters this error message:

An error occurred in the ‘Sample File’ query. Expression.Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table.
Details:
    Key=Record
    Table=Table

Hi @danandrew17 ,

Are the tables are in the same format for your old and new files?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello, they are identical.  I literally created a duplicate of all the source files so the only difference is a slight change in a folder name.

Dan

I know this string is old but thought I'd add something I found while looking at the Sample file. I looked at the Transformation Sample File / Applied Steps. I noticed the Changed Type step had type "Int64.Type" while in my main query I had "type text" for the same column where the errors were occuring. This seemed to fix the problem.

Hi @danandrew17 ,

How about changing  the privacy levels for data source to public?

Hello, the privacy levels for the current file are already set to 'Ignore the Privacy Levels and potentially improve performance' if this is your proposal...?

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.