Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Changing Connection in SSAS Live mode

In Power BI Desktop (or in the portal for that matter) how do I change to connect to different SSAS Tabular Database ?

eg Just want to change the connectin string...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With the latest update of Power BI Desktop, you can change both the server name and the database/cube name from the "Edit Queries" button when you connect to AS in explore live mode.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Resolve this follow below step.

1. Go to Home.

2. Click on "Transform Data" in "Queries" Section.

3. There you get option " Data Source Settings".

4. clik to open and yu can change the server name.

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@AngryKoala @konstantinos @meysun @kdejonge @Thib You can try the following step to delete any existing connection (instead of using edit queries) and to connect to same server but different database or same database

solution.png

Let me know if this works! Thanks

NO

Followed instructions and deleted datasource

1. Deleted connection "localhost\tabular"
  2. Closed PBID file
  3. Opened PBID file
  4. just have "spinny" (obviously as connection gone)
  5. clicked Edit Queries
  6. entered "localhost\tabular"
  7. clicked OK
  8. get same error in "!" error and when click get following in yellow box
    "Either the user, galah\Grant, does not have access to the zzHyProfit database, or the database does not exist."

Any other suggestions?

With the latest update of Power BI Desktop, you can change both the server name and the database/cube name from the "Edit Queries" button when you connect to AS in explore live mode.

Hi Meysun,

Can you tell me if there is any way of changing the SSAS connection if the report was built in the cloud based service?

I also need to know if this is possible.  Due to network/security issues, I am only able to develop dashboards using the power bi web site.  We currently only have a dev database (SSAS), so I would like to develop reports pointing to that, and then switch to a production database when it is ready.

Is this possible?

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Change the database in Navigation (2 step when in Edit Query) after connection
Konstantinos Ioannou

Appreciate you taking time to answer, *but* there is no second step - it fails on the first.... see screenshot above

Easy to reproduce

1. Connect to SSAS Server

2. Select database

3. Select model (cube)

4. Back on server, rename database

5. Back in Power BI Desktop now have error

6. Click on Edit - can't get past dialog (see above)

There is no screenshot, but you are right, my mistake.  When you edit the query ( as live ssas connection ) you cannot see M in order to change the query neither shows up in data sources. Maybe the team can change and give as the UI to enter advanced editor. 

Konstantinos Ioannou

That's correct. Currently the product allows you to change only the server name using Edit Queries for AS live connection.

kdejonge
Employee
Employee

Click on Edit Query, here you can change the connection for the AS server.

Thanks Kasper, but actually is *same* server just different SSAS Tabular database.
(in fact is same database, it was just renamed)

BTW: My client rebuilt all her dashboards, published and had everything running in the portal in one morning 

KUDOS TO THE TEAM

Thib
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I think the solution for Desktop is here (at the bottom) :

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/665278-analysis-services-tabular-data-in-power-bi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.